Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complete Listing of flip clocks on TV and in the movies.

Collapse
This has been set as a "sticky" topic and will remain at the top.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So.... any guesses as to what this model is about 1:00 in on the Space:1999 episode "Force Of Life" from 1974? I orginally thought it was a Soundesign, that's why I purchased one as my first clock.

Comment

Originally posted by alphanguy View Post
      So.... any guesses as to what this model is
      Click image for larger version  Name:	space1999.jpg Views:	6 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	15691 I would look at a sanyo stereo cast, the shape is close. Looking around, the model number seems to be SANYO RM 5430 STEREOCAST
      What I could find online was out of the UK and wired accordingly and that makes sense with the show filmed there.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	RM5430.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	15724

Sanyo Radio Clock by Michael Morgan, on Flickr
      Last edited by RetroFlip; December 28, 2020, 09:56 PM. Reason: Added possible model #

Comment

Do Animated Movies count? Turbo (2013) featured a close up of a clock that I thinks is a conglomeration of The Realistic Chronometer 116 and 106 as well as the Emerson Big Time flip clock.
        It's clearly not a real flip clock due to errors (knobs on the top and left that would serve no purpose and missing alarm set wheel) But cool regardless.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Turbo-SS-04.jpg Views:	4 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	16050

See the YouTube video of the breakdown of how I think I've figured out the clocks involved.

Watch on YouTube
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

• RetroFlip
          RetroFlip commented
          Editing a comment
          Got to set yourself up a consulting side gig for film and tv.

Has anyone seen the flip clock on the Servant Season 2 trailer? I just noticed it on a commercial on TV. I looked it up on YouTube, it's at about the 57 sec mark. Here's a pic.
        Attached Files

Comment

• RetroFlip
          RetroFlip commented
          Editing a comment
          Rhapsody Model RY-1036 from the looks of it. What's interesting is if you search worthpoint you can see that the sold clock by the model number has the same dent on the trim, so very likely is the same clock in the trailer.
          Good catch!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Faces in the Crowd (2011).png Views:	4 Size:	768.3 KB ID:	17112 Films: Faces in the Crowd (Year: 2011) 02:17.

Comment

• RetroFlip
          RetroFlip commented
          Editing a comment
          Found it listed as DC-044 2216-flip clock. Similar to the battery operated ones coming out of China right now. Impressive looking dial on the side but I think is sadly just a part of the case.

Name:	image_4827.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	17862
        Films: Knowing. (Year: 2009) (35:30)

Comment

Yeah. I actually made a video about that one. I am glad to own that version.

Comment

Apple TV+ show called Physical, S1E1 18:35. Motel room scene with what looks like a small cameo of a Sony FC-59WA, 8FC-69WA or similar. The scene is in 1981 according to show.

Name:	physical-motel-clock.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	21721

Comment

Green Lantern from 2011 (currently on netflix). Beside table at around 6min47sec. Although it hasn't been listed here, far as I can tell, there was some mention of it being in the movie back in 2011.

Name:	green-lantern-clock.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	22028

From looking it up, it was called the Bomba Alarm Clock, sporting exposed gears and two blue led lights on either side. (which can be dimmed or turned off) although it looks like the standard battery ones coming out of china, this one does plug into a wall wart. I think the power cord is what's showing under the clock in the movie. Seems like it made the rounds in gadget sites in 2007 with a stated price of $80 USD.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	bomba-alarm-clock.jpg Views:	4 Size:	31.6 KB ID:	22004
              The designer is listed on several sites as a Dutch designer, Will Vanden Vos'. Some places list him as German. Digging a bit more, the name is often attached to the many of the made in china battery clocks with lines like "This flip clock is done in the shape of the Bomba Alarm Clock. The retro-futuristic Bomba Alarm Clock was created by Dutch designer Will Vanden Vos. His works has a strong sense of contemporaneity. He has reinvented the classic flip clock from the seventies."

Click image for larger version  Name:	flip-down-clock.jpg Views:	4 Size:	43.3 KB ID:	22003
              According to an Amazon seller: "This mechanical retro flip clock was designed by Dutch designer Will Vanden Vos."

Is the name badly misspelled while translated back and forth multiple times?

On a site out of Israel I get the correct spelling of 'Wil Van Den Bos' and this image that includes the designer and the bomba clock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bomba-designer.jpg Views:	4 Size:	151.1 KB ID:	22005
              Last edited by RetroFlip; September 7, 2021, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Mackey
                Mackey commented
                Editing a comment
                I like Ryan Reynolds. I might have to get this clock

There's a flip clock in, A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas. at about 13 min. in. with a very interesting ornament on top.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyofthelord View Post
                There's a flip clock in, A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas. at about 13 min. in. with a very interesting ornament on top.
                I had to check this out and get a screen grab. I though it would be something inappropriate. Apparently it's a pile of crap! Nice. Made me look.

Name:	clipcrap.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	22998

Comment

that's literally a pile of crap. Interesting clock as well, it's a Kentech/Rhythm clockwork in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by flipoclock View Post
                    that's literally a pile of crap. Interesting clock as well, it's a Kentech/Rhythm clockwork in any case.
                    That's hilarious. They picked the perfect clock maker for that pile of crap.

Comment

It did not take Columbo S2 Eps.2 to figure out what this clock is

Comment

• Mackey
                        Mackey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Been looking for this. It's actually S2E1

New Apple + Original Show: Severance
                      An interesting concept for a blend of thriller, sci fi.
                      Wall Clock, S1 Ep4: The You You Are @ 3:24 and 4:44
                      Shows it flipping from 17:14 to 17:15 but it looks like it might be sped up to make it snappier.

Click image for larger version  Name:	severance-wall-clock3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.9 KB ID:	23847
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	severance-wall-clock1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	23848

Severance Teaser

Looks to be a newer Leff Amsterdam Branded Brick Wall Clock

Click image for larger version  Name:	severance-wall-clock4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	23849

Comment

Working...
                      X