Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've got a few specific questions for the flip clock experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a few specific questions for the flip clock experts

I recently bought a Copal 703 which is a beautiful alarm / flip clock.
    Very quiet / no ticking & looks great but i didn't knew it has a permanent light which i dont like.

I then bought a battery powered braun phase 2 which unfortunately ticks like a conventional clock.
    If you have a Copal 703 that sucks. (For use as an alarm clock that is) Otherwise its great aswell.

Here are my dream flip clock requirements:

- Alarm Function
    - No permanent light (Or no light at all)
    - Quiet / No Ticking (Like my Copal 703)
    - Battery Powered
    - Strong perference for 24 hours model/version instead of am/pm
    - Preferably (but not limited to) Copal
    - Good looking

Basically a battery powered Copal 703 with a switch to turn on/off the lights or no lighting at all.

Models i have found that might qualify & questions:

- Copal QP-212 (Is there also a 24h version or only 12h am/pm?)
    - Copal T-11
    - Copal T-7 (Is there also a 24h version or only 12h am/pm?)

I'm pretty sure those all have no (permanent) lighting?

I like the styling of the QP-212 best.
    I know there is also the QP-211 which is okayish looking but not great IMHO.
    https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...l-model-qp-212

Question Regarding Different Movements, Noise & Ticking:

I noticed different flip clocks use different movements.
    I furthermore noticed that even different copal models use different movements. (Tuning Fork, Quartz etc.)

When buying a Copal Flip Clock with Alarm are they ALL equally quiet no matter of the model/movement
    or is there a huge difference?

For Example: Copal 703 (Idk. the movement) vs. Copal QP-212 (Quartz) vs. Copal T11 (Tuning Fork)
    Are they all equally quiet or are some ticking as loud as the braun phase 2 / a conventional clock?

I hope you guys can help me figure out the best flip clock for my application.

So i did way more research and bought a Citizen 8rd102. This is definitely one of, if not the greatest flip clock with alarm there is.
    - Battery powered (So it works all over the world and you can easily move it without readjusting time, no strong EMF aswell)
    - No permanent light
    - No ticking, its silent (Except once every minute when it changes the "time plate" but its not an annoying noise)

It has a small control LED that flashes every second. (I knew that)
    I just got the clock today and start using it tonight. But If that LED is annoying i will just remove it, no big deal. (Its soldered on to the PCB, i know that from pictures i found on the internet)

The only drawback is they painted the digits in yellow/greenish fluorscence paint instead of white. I think traditional white digits on black background would look even better.​

Conclusion:

If you want a very quiet/non noticeably ticking flip clock with alarm feature and without permanent light look for a
    Citizen, Seiko or Copal brand unit with Quartz movement. Those are usually battery powered but i think that's an advantage anyway.

The Copal 703 also has all these attributes but has a permanent light and is socket powered.
    If you're handy you can modify it with a light switch as i did: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...h-light-switch

Also i've seen one 24h battery powered copal with quartz movement but they are very rare. I do not think that Citizen or Seiko offered 24h variants since those models have been only sold in japan and some maybe in the usa.

Comment

Working...
    X