Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 703 modified with Light Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 703 modified with Light Switch

I recently bought a mint Copal 703 that i love how it looks and it is also very quiet (you won't notice it ticking).
    BUT unfortunately it has an inbuilt permanent light that you cannot turn off.
    I can't sleep like that so that sucks.

I then bought a braun phase 2 (battery powered variant) because that has no light at all.
    BUT it ticks very noticeably like a conventional clock which also bothers me.

So since at this point i'm not 100% sure if and what models of battery powered flip clocks with alarm do not tick (i suspect all with quartz movement do not tick but i'm not sure yet) i just bought another Copal 703 that is not mint (but working flawlessly) and modified it with a light switch.

Its pretty easy to do if you are a DIY type of person and got basic equipment and electric knowledge.

I attached some screenshots of the finished product.
    Now i can finally use this Copal 703 as an alarm clock.

But i might also buy into a battery powered unit with a quartz movement and try that out aswell...

Originally posted by Michael_ View Post
    So since at this point i'm not 100% sure if and what models of battery powered flip clocks with alarm do not tick (i suspect all with quartz movement do not tick but i'm not sure yet) i just bought another Copal 703 that is not mint (but working flawlessly) and modified it with a light switch.

But i might also buy into a battery powered unit with a quartz movement and try that out aswell...
    So i did way more research and bought a Citizen 8rd102. This is definitely one of, if not the greatest flip clock with alarm there is.
    - Battery powered (So it works all over the world and you can easily move it without readjusting time, no strong EMF aswell)
    - No permanent light
    - No ticking, its silent (Except once every minute when it changes the "time plate" but its not an annoying noise)

It has a small control LED that flashes every second. (I knew that)
    I just got the clock today and start using it tonight. But If that LED is annoying i will just remove it, no big deal. (Its soldered on to the PCB, i know that from pictures i found on the internet)

The only drawback is they painted the digits in yellow/greenish fluorscence paint instead of white. I think traditional white digits on black background would look even better.

Conclusion:

If you want a very quiet/non noticeably ticking flip clock with alarm feature and without permanent light look for a
    Citizen, Seiko or Copal brand unit with Quartz movement. Those are usually battery powered but i think that's an advantage anyway.​

Comment

Working...
    X