Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's on your desk / nightstand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I'd change it up. The red RC-6001 has taken the place of the Sony for now. I'd love to get some posts from newer members!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	15939

Comment

Originally posted by cyb3rbyte View Post
      Thought I'd change it up. The red RC-6001 has taken the place of the Sony for now. I'd love to get some posts from newer members!

Name:	IMG_1092.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	15939
      I know it's been said before, but that clock looks fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Performa View Post

I know it's been said before, but that clock looks fantastic!
        Thank you! If it needs a home, I'll let you know . I want to work on the LED illumination a bit, it's too bright at night and it almost kept me from sleeping last night! Gonna see if there's a way for me to turn them down slightly or if there's a filter I can add above them (like a opaque black film).

Comment

Thank you! If it needs a home, I'll let you know . I want to work on the LED illumination a bit, it's too bright at night and it almost kept me from sleeping last night! Gonna see if there's a way for me to turn them down slightly or if there's a filter I can add above them (like a opaque black film).
          I thought it looked a little bright, but thought it might have been camera flash in the photo.

Brainstorming a quick fix, a cheap pair of sunglass lenses cut to size might do it. Otherwise I'm sure there's some sort of tinted plastic that could go over the LEDs... assuming they don't get too hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Performa View Post
            Brainstorming a quick fix, a cheap pair of sunglass lenses cut to size might do it. Otherwise I'm sure there's some sort of tinted plastic that could go over the LEDs... assuming they don't get too hot.
            They run pretty cold actually! Gonna try that, good suggestion. I was also gonna try some semi-transparent black UL tape.

Comment

They run pretty cold actually! Gonna try that, good suggestion. I was also gonna try some semi-transparent black UL tape.
              Ooh, I hadn't thought of UL tape, that's a good one too!

Comment

After some modification, the RC-6001 is much less bright, but still nicely legible at night. Looks almost original, just slightly brighter. I ended up using some self-etching primer on the LED strip to mask it a bit, and with guessing the right amount, it came out pretty good .

Name:	IMG_1143.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	16158

Name:	IMG_1146.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	16159

As soon as I get my TFM-C400 running, that will be taking this one's spot, temporarily .

Comment

Very nice little clock. If that is the warm-white LED power supply I sent you, it is running at the full 12v of the supply itself (also the max the LEDs will take). I can "tune" the LEDs to have them undervolted at, say 8 or 9 volts and they would then be dimmer.

My next version of the power supply will be user-tuneable to various voltages to set the brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer View Post
                    Very nice little clock. If that is the warm-white LED power supply I sent you, it is running at the full 12v of the supply itself (also the max the LEDs will take). I can "tune" the LEDs to have them undervolted at, say 8 or 9 volts and they would then be dimmer.

My next version of the power supply will be user-tuneable to various voltages to set the brightness.
                    I figured you could undervolt them, but everything was already so put together in that neat little package I didn't want to mess with it. Can't wait to see the next one.

Comment

Alright, LAST update to what’s on my nightstand for now. Finished the TFM-C400 for the moment. It looks quite at home on my nightstand, and is just bright enough at night to not wake me.

Name:	411FEEC8-1A49-4343-A7E1-1E05C9DA8B69.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	16882

Name:	754320E1-2593-4827-893B-3EFBD0276697.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	16883

Name:	948A2B5B-C7B2-48A2-B617-444C45E470E6.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	16884

Comment

Man...you cannot go wrong with a blacklight clock. Looking good.

Comment

Working...
                        X