Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal Model QP-212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that anyone in particular is following this ... but for the record:
    This clock seems very sensitive to resistance from the mechanism. For example, when working on the "arresting finger" (or what I call "tine") that holds back the minute, it caused the motor to stop functioning, so that I had to pull the chain to restart. The OP had mentioned the tine being bent. I don't know how much straightening was done originally, but when I got it, it was bent at the tip. This allowed the clock to flip, but I think the way it was bent put more strain against the tiles. (I'm pretty sure it's getting bent when running backwards (see above post). Anyway, now that it's bent back I think it's putting less resistance on the tiles.

Considering how sensitive this clock is, I'm also thinking that the mechanism actually needs oiling. Sort of like how a clock with brass works needs to have the points oiled. There at lease a couple metal to metal places where the plastic gears (through a steel axle - or what clock people call the "arbor") contacts a metal part of the clock frame. So... I'm going to let it run tonight then mayby try oiling tomorrow.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I have never actually worked on one of these, but this is good information, thanks!

They are quite rare I guess. I have had one in the past, but that was working fine so I did not touch it :-)

Comment

I don't want to be a packrat and I have got a few more slave clocks for my slave clock collction. You have more parts for your collection now Mackey

Comment

Restored. Got the clock apart and I believe I found the problem. The gears needed to be individually oiled, just as you would for a mantel clock, a grandfather clock or a cuckoo clock. The video goes into detail. Also, the clock does run backward for sure if you're not careful. Also, learned that it's not the pulling of the chain that actually starts the motor, but the releasing of the chain. Check it out:

~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

You have actually inspired me to take another look at 2 tuning fork clocks I still have, one Copal T11, which is one of the more beautiful clocks Copal has ever made and one T5, not as nice as the T11, but still looking good.
            I also have a parts clock T11 which is more or less complete, will start with that one first :-)

Comment

I have by now gotten so far that I managed to combine parts of the both T11's that I have to have one clock which is somewhat working, but more than 15 to 30 minutes it will not run and then it stops. I jumpstart it and it immediately starts running again... I lubricated the points which need lubricating, perhaps the oil needs some time to work its way through to the components of the clock?

Comment

Working...
              X