Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnavox 1R1784

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The clock lamp is the same neon bulb used on most Copal clock mechanisms.
    My radio does not work well, probably bad electrolytics, if I were more handy with a soldering iron I would probably recap it.

Jeremy

Comment

That is a work of art, it's come up like new.
      re the bad cap in the FM circuit, I'm sure you know all about looking for bulging and leaking caps but another method that has worked for me is to use freeze spray on them one at a time with the circuit powered on. Apologies if that's teaching you how to suck eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by davidm View Post
        That is a work of art, it's come up like new.
        re the bad cap in the FM circuit, I'm sure you know all about looking for bulging and leaking caps but another method that has worked for me is to use freeze spray on them one at a time with the circuit powered on. Apologies if that's teaching you how to suck eggs.
        No, this is good info!
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by tadcook View Post
          I have one that my parents bought around 1972 in Seattle, maybe at PayNSave. Worked fine in the past, but now has a terrible hum, but otherwise tunes radio stations OK. I am thinking an electrolytic capacitor in the power supply must be dried out (a common problem in old radios). Any idea where to find a schematic diagram? Maybe old Sam's PhotoFact at the library.
          I discovered a collector in my neighborhood who collects and restores old AM radios. He probably has the part I need (I'm guessing an electrolytic capacitor) to restore it. But the clock works fine.

I doubt my dad paid full list price for this 48 years ago. I bet he got it on sale for half the list price, or less.

Comment

Pretty old thread...but here goes. I recently picked to a Magnavox 1r1784. This was the clock my parents had when I was a kid. Really cool clock. I have replaced the neon light in the clock......but the smaller bulb that lights the radio dial I am have trouble identifying. Any help? Will post a pic once back up 100%

Comment

Originally posted by rdm5161 View Post
              Pretty old thread...but here goes. I recently picked to a Magnavox 1r1784. This was the clock my parents had when I was a kid. Really cool clock. I have replaced the neon light in the clock......but the smaller bulb that lights the radio dial I am have trouble identifying. Any help? Will post a pic once back up 100%
              Had no excuse. Mine was sitting just off the my left at my desk. I didn't recall so I had to take it apart and find out.
              There's not a standard for that. You can use any 5mm bulb rated 6-12 volts at around 15 mAmp. the lower rated voltage will be brighter but not last as long. I used a 9V from some new old stock that I bought years ago.
              ~ Mackey Site Administrator
              If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
              If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
              X