Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnavox 1R1784

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnavox 1R1784

This is a circa 1972 Magnavox flip clock radio. I have an amazing Magnavox Imperial stereo console and when I saw this cool flip clock I just had to add it to my collection.
    By the late 1960s Magnavox was making a lot of components overseas, and this flip clock radio is no exception. Manufactured in Korea with Japanese parts. The clock of course is a Copal. Copal GG-1670 to be exact.
    Neat vertical design with a heavy chrome base and real wood cabinet. I got it in non-working condition. A nice alcohol bath got the clock back up and running. Deoxit in the volume potentiometer go the radio working. AM band tunes great, but there must be a bad cap in the FM circuit because it is really fouled up. The original clock lamp was pretty blacked out, replaced with Mackey's new assembly and now it is bright as new.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1r1784A.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	2683

Name:	1r1784C.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	2684

Name:	1r1784D.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	2685

Name:	1r1784E.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	533.5 KB
ID:	2686

Name:	1r1784F.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	542.0 KB
ID:	2687

Jeremy

The guts and the bulb replacement. Click image for larger version  Name:	1r1784G.jpg Views:	1 Size:	554.0 KB ID:	2689
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1r1784H.jpg Views:	2 Size:	385.5 KB ID:	2690
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1r1784I.jpg Views:	2 Size:	433.8 KB ID:	2691

Jeremy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    note: the following appended by the Administrator 5.10.2017
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1784_001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	228.2 KB ID:	2941

From Pottstown Mercury Newspaper
    Pottstown, Pennsylvania
    Mon, Dec 11, 1972 – Page 25

$49.95 in 1972 equals $293.42 in 2017 dollars.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, that's the NBA center of flip clock radios. Could be the tallest flip clock radio model out there, most vertical ones are pretty squat in comparison.

Comment

Maybe it is so tall so the person on the far side of the bed can see it without getting up to look over their partner. LOL

Jeremy

Comment

Jeremy did you try contact cleaner on the AM/FM selector switch?
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I cleaned all of the switches to no avail. Very few stations will tune on FM and when they do they are way out of alignment.

Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy View Post
              I cleaned all of the switches to no avail. Very few stations will tune on FM and when they do they are way out of alignment.

Jeremy
              The pictures are great by the way.

Anyway it all looks very good in there.
              Since AM and FM use the same tuner dial, that misalignment probably has to due with need for adjusting the IF and RF circuits . Sometimes people get inside the radio and start adjusting things, not knowing what they're doing. Or it's possible the settings got bumped around just with time/age. Unfortunately, to accurately fix this you need special equipment ( a signal generator and oscillator). I have only the most basic of understanding of this whole process. While it's possible that you just have a bad capacitor, those are often hard to chase down. Unfortunately, you might have to take it to an old school TV repair man to get something like this fixed.
              ~ Mackey Site Administrator
              If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
              If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

This is such a beautiful Magnavox clock radio that I haven't seen. My wife graduated from high school in 1972, but we don't remember that particular clock radio. Korvettes, K-Mart, J.C.Penney, Sears, Highland Appliance, Service Merchandise were some of the stores we frequented. Thanks for sharing and presenting great photos of it.

Comment

I ended up getting one of this model a while back, it was in great shape but was missing the little rubber feet. The one it still had was worn almost to the surface of the base. Here's a couple pics of making a little mold to make some replacements. I think they came out really well, not sure how this moldable silicone rubber will wear but it was a fun little experiment.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
                      I ended up getting one of this model a while back, it was in great shape but was missing the little rubber feet. The one it still had was worn almost to the surface of the base. Here's a couple pics of making a little mold to make some replacements. I think they came out really well, not sure how this moldable silicone rubber will wear but it was a fun little experiment.
                      WOW! Great work.

Jeremy

Comment

I also have one of these Magnavox tower flip clocks, but mine says "Made In Japan." Magnavox, RCA, General Electric, Admiral and most other American brands switched production to Korea or Hong Kong to save money. But many times quality suffered. I also have a identical Magnavox tower clock that says "made in Korea." The soldering and internal assembly is a bit sloppy compared to the Japanese one.
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

The date code on the clock movement is first week of August 1972. I have a 1R1782 made in Japan with a movement date code of third week of November 1972. It would seem that whoever was contracted to make these clocks for Magnavox had plants running in both countries simultaneously.

Jeremy

Comment

Great restoration! I just bought the same clock on ebay---fixed the clock...but I need to replace the clock light--any suggestions there would be welcomed! Also--is there a separate light for the radio dial? Did you have to replace that, or was it already working?

Thanks!

Comment

I have one that my parents bought around 1972 in Seattle, maybe at PayNSave. Worked fine in the past, but now has a terrible hum, but otherwise tunes radio stations OK. I am thinking an electrolytic capacitor in the power supply must be dried out (a common problem in old radios). Any idea where to find a schematic diagram? Maybe old Sam's PhotoFact at the library.

Comment

Working...
                              X