Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Horolovar Plato verses the Original Plato Flip Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Horolovar Plato verses the Original Plato Flip Clock

Here I show some details of a recent close up look at this reproduction flip clock.

VIDEO: The Horolovar Plato verses the Original Plato Flip Clock

Click image for larger version  Name:	video.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	25548

I've been looking for a good quality Horolovar Plato Clock for many years. These clocks were produced between 1969-1971 by Karl Laufer, Germany for The Horolovar Company of New York, USA. An advert from the day explains it well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	horolovar_insert_lg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.5 KB ID:	25552

~ full text of the above
    HOROLOVAR REPRODUCTION OF THE 1905 AMERICAN ORIGINAL
    The PLATO CLOCK takes its name from the time-telling plates, rather than from the Greek philosopher.

The original 1905 one-day models arc coveted by knowing collectors of Americana; the reproduction is so close to the original in outward appearance that only an expert can tell them apart—but its 7-jewel, 8-day movement gives it timekeeping qualities never dreamed of in the original model.

The PLATO CLOCK is ideal as a gift, or as an accent piece for any room in your home.

Each clock is fully warranted and is packed in strong inner and outer cartons ready for immediate reshipping. A 14 page illustrated article, giving the history of the clock and the interesting story of its inventor, is included.

THE HOROLOVAR COMPANY
    Box 299
    Bronxville, New York 10708
    I actually came across a copy of the "illustrated article" mentioned above and have had it for a while now. It is the text from the 1964 article on the Plato Clocks by Charles O. Terwilliger, Jr with the addition of more details about the later reproduction clocks.

The Clock came complete with several (12) warped tiles. The ones pictured below were the least warped, but still affected the movement of the clock. They were straightened in an oven at 275 F between two 1/4 inch glass tiles. Unfortunately, the initial batches had some transfer of the paint (which is water soluble for some reason). Using cooking parchment paper solved that problem on the last group.

Click image for larger version  Name:	warped_tiles.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.8 KB ID:	25550

I got the clock stripped down pretty far, but I left the clockworks alone - it was pristine and running great. The center post has a gear on the end of it that is press fit. There is significant play with the rod in the base - it wobbles pretty badly when you're at this point in disassembly, but that was apparently intended. The clockworks easily mates with the post. Once the clock is reassembled there's no wobble.

Click image for larger version  Name:	disassembled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.1 KB ID:	25551 Click image for larger version  Name:	clockworks.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.7 KB ID:	25554

I was glad to get this clock without the base being cracked Almost all the Horolovars you see on ebay have a cracked base. I think it's caused by either dropping the clock, or most likely, when trying to reapply the e-clips to get the mechanism back on the clock. They're in a very tight position and the temptation is to pry pushing up against the base, and/or to grip the base too tightly. I would have made the same mistakes if I had never seen the cracked bases (all the time) on ebay.

Click image for larger version  Name:	crack.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.1 KB ID:	25555

The newest addition to the FlipClockFans collection. The Horolovar Plato Clock Reproduction circa 1970

Click image for larger version  Name:	horolovar.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	25556

VIDEO: The Horolovar Plato verses the Original Plato Flip Clock
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!
Working...
X