Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seth Thomas, 821 day/date speed read clock, slightly altered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seth Thomas, 821 day/date speed read clock, slightly altered

Ever since I had gotten my hands on two of these, I had some ideas on how to alter them slightly from how they were intended and (in my opinion), make them look cooler.

I removed the black face plate inside, which lead me to having to 'glue' in the face plate for that was held in place by that specific face plate, but that was very doable. I removed the clockwork to paint the inside white to show the mechanics inside even better. Whilst having it out, I redid the wiring, opened up the motor to lubricated it and also added a 2nd light for the day/date.

I put it back together with a new cable and plug, I am quite pleased with the result and she's now running perfectly again and also very quiet.

For the 2nd one I aim for something similar, perhaps give the outside a different colour although I do like the somewhat used and battered look it has now.
    Attached Files

That looks really nice. I like what you did. It looks a bit industrial and I love that look.

I do the extra lamp mod to the Caslon 601 models, too. They just NEED that second lamp!

Comment

• flipoclock
      flipoclock commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, in this case I was lucky and could install the lamp holder without having to modify it, in the Copal clocks it is more difficult, but perhaps I will find a solution for that some point.

Yes. Much better look. Reminds me of the Howard Miller flip clock.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Looks great. Nice work. I like the full view of all the clock works

Comment

I am interested in possibly purchasing this model. I believe it originally came with a lighted dial; but many if not most I've come across are no longer illuminating, but the clock itself functions. I am new to flip clocks - is this just a bulb change or is it more involved than that? Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

The lightbulb on the inside does 'die' out over the years whilst the motor can keep spinning (it would ideally need a clean and lubrication). The lightbulb can be replaced but ideally you would also replace the resistor, which is directly connected to the bulb. I hope this helps. It is not a complicated job if you have a soldering iron, this clock is relatively easy to open up.
          I have one here that is 100% original and still needs to be restored by me. Maybe that could be of interest to you, just shoot me a message. I only sell them restored though, not unrestored.

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate your help and insight. I did already purchase a unrestored version of this clock. I will take your recommendations for my first flip clock! Do you happen to know what type of bulb is the correct replacement for this unit?

Comment

Working...
            X