Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ITT Nova GB 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITT Nova GB 13

A neat small desktop alarm clock, this ITT Nova GB 13.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030176.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.1 KB ID:	25268 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030174.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.6 KB ID:	25269

It is a 12 hour roll clock with a 24 hour alarm. The red/white indicator left of the hours indicates whether is it day or night. The button on the left sets the alarm and when pushed in also adjusts the time. I have seen the same clock also branded as 'Good old Electric Model GA 13' or as 'M-Digital Migros'.

The mechanism and the motor were new to me, never seen these before. Major parts of the mechanism are made of plastic, including some axles. Nevertheless feels quite well build.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3556.jpg Views:	0 Size:	346.8 KB ID:	25272 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3558.jpg Views:	0 Size:	337.3 KB ID:	25270

I bought the clock in not working condition. The motor was running but a gear was broken. To make matters worse it appeared that someone had tried to fix something using super glue, then spilled the stuff and glued two gears completely stuck! The smaller gear of the brown double gear appeared to be missing, but I found a small bit of the remains somewhere back in the case.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3562.jpg Views:	0 Size:	459.0 KB ID:	25271

Luckily super glue does not bond very well with POM, so I could easily separate the two gears and then tediously clean all teeth using a needle. At least the white gear was saved but for the brown double gear I needed to find a replacement. This I could order at kkpmo.com in Poland, but first I needed to determine the gear dimension. For the large gear this was fairly easy as I still could count the teeth and measure the diameter.

But for the small gear this became a bit of a puzzle as there was hardly anything left. The module was easy to determine as I could determine it from the large white gear (which is a good idea anyway as it is more accurate). The number of teeth though I was not exactly sure about, could be 10 or 11. To resolve that I then reasoned that if I knew the in and outgoing rpm and the number of teeth of all other gears in-between I could calculate the missing number. The outgoing speed was simple: this is the seconds wheel and thus 1 rpm. The speed of the motor was not given, but on wikipedia I learned that you can deduce this from the number of poles and the net frequency. Knowing this and after counting the teeth on each and every gear, I could do the math and determine it had to be 10 teeth. So I ordered the gears at kkpmo.com (doubling the price of the clock, but I found it still worth it) and with these got it working again. It is running fine since then! (and at the right speed )

Hello Johan,
    I have the same model and exactly the same problem with the brown gear.
    As I want to make an order for my Elac and Seiko at kkpmo following the informations you provided here, I need your help for the brown gear. Mine has lost a lot of teeth and I have no clue about the small gear.
    With my wife we found that the large gear has this size: 1,5mm thick, 22mm diameter, 1mm drill hole diameter and 72 teeth. Am I right ? What shoud I take for the module and what is the difference for the drill between H6 and M6 ?
    Also do you recall the informations/dimensions of the small gear ?
    Many thanks for your help,
    Karl

Comment

Hello Karl,

Large gear: module: 0.3, Number of teeth 72, Drill 1.5 mm M6, Thickness 1.5 mm
      Small gear: module: 0.3, Number of teeth 10, Drill 1.5 mm M6, Thickness 2.0 mm

Please double check the drill diameter! (I think I made a mistake myself when ordering since I ordered one with 1mm and one with 1.5mm).
      Best use a caliper and measure the axle diameter.

The M6/H6 choice puzzled me as well. I ordered the M6 since I think that is the tighter fit and I wanted to be on the safe side as you can always increase the size using a drill or file.

Success!
      Johan

Comment

Thanks for all these details Johan, I will try to make an order nextly and let you know how I manage to repair everything.

Comment

Hello Johan,
          I just wanted to share some news about my ITT flip-clock. I received the gears and after some difficulties gluing the 2 gears, I managed to make it work again !!
          I also changed the light as is was very dim and now it looks great.
          With the gears from KKPMO, I also managed to revive the Elac RD100 and the Seiko SD-571.
          Thanks for your help and here is a picture of it.

Comment

Great you got it working again! Glueing these gears is indeed a bit tricky. There is just no glue that sticks well to POM.

Comment

If you're interested there is a great website for finding informations about old clocks :
              hifi-archiv
              And here I found a 1972 ad for the ESGE GB13 that is a copy of the ITT GB13.

Comment

Working...
              X