Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vendomatic PQ-55 film roll clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vendomatic PQ-55 film roll clock

A film roll clock was high on my wish list already for a while, because I find it an interestingly different mechanism. I had already bought two broken Philips 90RS455 radio alarm clocks, hoping that I could merge them into one working clock. But after a first investigation they sank to the bottom of my ‘still-to-repair-stack’ and never resurfaced because I was afraid it will be a painfully difficult repair.

Then I found this Vendomatic PQ-55 that was in a much better shape. Apart from the motor not running, everything seemed to be working fine (spoiler: it didn’t).

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020845.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	23814

This radio alarm clock has an AM/FM radio with tone control and a headphone jack, but I especially like large bright green numbers in a funky 70’s font on the clock! I love to watch the numbers “morph” (or melt as I read elsewhere) when the time changes.

Name:	P1020847.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	23815

The clock mechanism is from Westclox and in this version they applied the same trick as some Sankyo roll clocks: the large slanted numbers are overlapping on the film and a mask at the front filters out the relevant bits. And just as with the Sankyo clocks you can recognise this trick by the small gaps in some numbers that are an inevitable side-effect of this method.

Name:	P1020834.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	23816

The motor was easy to fix. It just needed a good clean and lubrication to get running again. I noted it is running pretty hot (around 50 degrees Celsius), but another motor I had reached similar temperature so I assume that this is normal.

Now I got that working I could properly test all functions of the clock and everything was wrong! The radio went on when it should be off and vice versa. The buzzer was always on, except when you set the sleep timer. After some investigation I found the culprit: a lever had cracked and was no longer attached to the axle. As glue alone was not strong enough I fitted a sleeve around it that I made from an old ballpoint filling. Then it took me some time to reverse engineer the correct position on the shaft. And since I had taken so many things apart, I also needed to sync up the alarm again.

Name:	IMG_3307.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	23817

Then a bit of history:

The Vendomatic brand was created by the Dutch Vroom & Dreesman department store to market a wide range of electrical appliances: radio’s, televisions, fridges, washing machines, etc. Judging by what I can still find online they were especially successful with their sewing machines. Vroom & Freeman was founded in 1887 and went bankrupt in 2015. I found the below advertisement that featured the Vendomatic PQ-55 in a local Dutch newspaper the ‘Provinciale Zeeuwse Courant’ on November 8, 1974.

Name:	ZEB001000287_0490_L.jp2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	23813

The intro I'll translate for your enjoyment:
    Let yourself be awakened by such a nice clock radio from the Treasury of Saint Nicholas
    The clock radio occupies a place of honor in the renowned range of radios, TVs, turntables, boxes and recorders in your department store. And rightly so, because the clock radio is a small electrical miracle. In the first place, it is the most sympathetic alarm clock in the world. Secondly, it is an extremely contemporary timepiece. Third, there is a lot of great music in it. And finally, it is a very nice gift idea!
    Saint Nicholas (or ‘Sinterklaas’) is the Dutch version of Santa Claus. Both traditions stem from the Saint Nicholas, a Greek bishop who presumably lived in Myra in present day Turkey. In the Dutch tradition Sinterklaas gives presents to primarily children but often adults as well. It is mainly celebrated within families at the eve of the 5th of December. So the above advertisement is aimed at promoting gift items for that celebration. And quite a generous gift: 149 guilder would be 242 euro in todays money.

Although mine was not a gift from Sinterklaas, I’m very happy with it!

Excellent write up!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Good stuff, thanks! What a funky clock that is. I am not into radio-alarmclocks at all, but this I fancy!

Comment

Best looking one of that style I've seen. The green digits remind me of a Riviera DCF-18.
        Which was described as "Full Feature Electronic Tape Digital Movement by General Time."

Name:	riviera-DCF-18.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	23834

Comment

Originally posted by flipoclock View Post
          I am not into radio-alarmclocks at all
          Not my favourite either. My main interest is in clocks, although there are some nice looking radio's out there. Also I'm pretty hopeless at repairing radio's, so if I see one where the radio is broken I have to let it pass

Comment

That appears to the be the same General Time Corp. tape clock mechanism as used in the Zenith clock radios (but with a different and much cooler font). The cracked part that kept the buzzer on seems to be the same as the crack I found in mine, too. I had a tough time figuring that out. I rotated it to the OFF position and hope no one touches the lever since I didn't fix it.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20220205_131211[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	720.2 KB ID:	23942
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20220204_063133[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	298.5 KB ID:	23945

Comment

Also, it's interesting to see the masked overlapping numbers used in a different way (on film) than on Zenith cyclometers.

Name:	20220208_133131[1].jpg
Views:	254
Size:	676.3 KB
ID:	23947

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	23948

Comment

• Johan de Jong
                Johan de Jong commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah nice, that is I think the Sankyo mechanism! I have a Sankyo 202 and a 535L that use this mechanism and also seen it in this Atomic DGU 400: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...atomic-dgu-400

• tickrim
                tickrim commented
                Editing a comment
                You have GREAT looking clock radios!

Yes, it is the Sankyo mechanism. I had to replace a broken gear in the Intermatic motor on one of them (from an Intermatic lamp timer). The other is still working fine, but makes some clicking noises.

The Sankyo mechanism on the left has a green (neon?) bulb that appears to be original. The one on the right had a replacement orange neon bulb that was about dead when I got it - I installed a new one. Now I wonder if it, too, was originally green. However, I see that your Atomic clock has an orange neon bulb.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows how (or if) the lamp was secured in the big red Weather Radio pushbutton on the left unit. When I took it apart to clean it up, the lamp (on the wire) just fell out of the button. I stuck it back in the pushbutton when I put it back together, but there's nothing that secures it there other than the shaft of the switch. I later noticed a little old O-ring on the table after I put it all back together and wonder if that O-ring had somehow held the lamp in place in the pushbutton.

Originally posted by tickrim View Post
              The cracked part that kept the buzzer on seems to be the same as the crack I found in mine, too. I had a tough time figuring that out. I rotated it to the OFF position and hope no one touches the lever since I didn't fix it.
              If you wish to fix it, here are some pictures that may help. In the first you see how I fixed the part by fitting a little tube around it that I made from an old ballpoint pen. In the second you see the correct position of the part. Note the lever is in the "on" position and the switch for the radio is closed.

Comment

Working...
              X