Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing light, lubricating motor on a Panasonic RC-6015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing light, lubricating motor on a Panasonic RC-6015

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2356.JPG Views:	1 Size:	112.4 KB ID:	5637 A visitor to the site needed help with their Panasonic RC-6015 and I was able to oblige.In this case I used WD-40 to flush out the motor followed by Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil for long term lubrication. It worked well. I skipped alcohol altogether. I also replaced the light with an original type one.

The clock had been worked on before and someone spliced in a light. I think it must have been a 6 volt and was overpowered. What's interesting about this clock is that the motor and the light run off the same current, which I measured at 8V on the circuit board. This is unique for copal motors as they usually run on 110-120 volt or "mains" power.

The video details the motor cleaning and shows light replacement.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Wow I never thought you would recommend WD40 but it looks like it worked. I have flushed out frozen up motors with electrical contact cleaner to prevent ruining the wirlgig stickers, then oiled the motor. That has worked well also. Do you think the alcohol soak is still a good option?

Comment

I don't know. I'm moving away from the alcohol unless nothing else works. I know from experience that some of the stickers can get ruined with the alcohol. The WD-40 has got a bad rap recently but it also can be used successfully as a contact cleaner. The WD-40 harms no plastics that I know of and is easy on the stickers (and cheap and relatively available). However, you don't want the WD-40 to soak the stickers for a long period as it will release the adhesive. People were using it on the motors for years before we came on the scene. I do believe finishing off with a good oil (of whatever kind) aimed right at the axle is the key regardless of what initial solvent is used. Because that's what the alcohol, WD-40 or contact cleaner is acting like ... a solvent, dissolving the old dried up oil.

Comment

A couple of days back, I tried to fix again my 6010b, and I used some contact cleaner, the 3 in 1 brand, and, hey, one shot, instant movement. WD40 is fine for, let's say, not so delicate machiens, when it dries, later on leave a little bit of residue left, I don't know if it's for later lubricity or is the dust collected or something, With the contact cleaner seems to go just OK, but I didn't take a test for long, as I did with the alcohol bath, it didn't last a whole month on. I'm now working on the case of the 6010, i'm about to do some "retrobright" treatment and see how it works...

Comment

The thing is. When you're cleaning the motor of these clocks, you're not cleaning any electrical contacts. All that is getting lubricated is the shaft or axle of the motor. Whatever solvent you use is just melting down or dissolving the old oil. The thing that is important is replacing the oil with a very good oil, regardless of what you use (alcohol, contact cleaner, WD-40) to free up the shaft of that rotor.

Comment

Hello,

What bulb did you use in this restoration, and where did you source it? Thanks very much in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Purkeypilot View Post
              Hello,

What bulb did you use in this restoration, and where did you source it? Thanks very much in advance!
              I think you know now, but for anyone else see the following
              I frequently get asked where I get lights for flip clocks that I've worked on. You'll find there are various types and sizes of lights used. However in the famous Panasonics (RC-6025, RC-6015) and the related 6030 and 6010 I use the following: Miniatronics Model 18-024-20 Incandescent lamp 12 Volt 50mA 5.5mm diameter They are

Comment

I recently acquired an RC 6015 and the clock runs good except that the lamp has burnt out and the motor is a little noisy. I opened the clock up and noticed that the lamp and motor shared the same power. I don't have a replacement lamp yet but I was just testing an led on the terminals and noticed that the motor went quieter when it was sharing power with the led! Has anybody else experienced this? Does anybody know a supplier of the lamps in Canada?

Comment

Working...
                X