Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retoration tips and videos for Sony 8FC-100W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by henrypal View Post
    Peroxide bleaching can be performed without removing the lens front...?
    From experience in having tested this, I am fairly certain that the peroxide will not affect the lense. HOWEVER, there is no telling where the peroxide can and will seep to for the glued in lense will not have been glued all around and there might be possibilities where the peroxide will seep through, eating away at the inside of the clock, which you may not want.

PS, there is no guarantee, but from experience, the black graphics will not be affected by the peroxide.

Comment

It’s not. You have to tape it off to keep the peroxide from contacting it.

Comment

I am about to start on the same clock. Thank you Jumblejeff for the info you have posted here. If you have anymore tips please type away lol. Clock looks great!

Comment

You MUST remove any clear acrylic if attempting to use any type of Peroxide bleaching method. If ANY of the peroxide touches the acrylic it will chemically scar the surface.

Also, at least on the 8FC-100, the peroxide can also scar the flat black paint under the viewing window. It won't remove the paint, but it will slightly discolor it.

Peroxide seems to be safe on anodized aluminum, plastic chrome and "some" painted surfaces, except as noted above. It seems to have no effect on the embossed printing on cabinet surfaces.

Comment

Got the Sony apart, man that was tough but fun! Cleaned the motor and got it running nice and smooth. Cleaned out the volume control and got rid of the static and now it sounds great. I have one problem left and I have no idea how to fix it. Before I took the clock apart I noticed that the tuning knob was turning the cylinder very little and then would just keep turning without moving the cylinder at all. The tuner appears to not be strung up correctly, not sure though. When I turn part #1 the cylinder type tuner moves and tunes correctly. The problem is that part #2 does not move because the string just slides around it. This means when I put it back together the tuning knob will just spin without tuning like before. Any help suggestions?

Comment

Working...
            X