Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retoration tips and videos for Sony 8FC-100W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retoration tips and videos for Sony 8FC-100W

I recently purchased a 8FC-100W from Ebay and was looking for a restoration video for it. It looks like a little different configuration than I seen in some of the other flip clocks I have repaired. The case is yellowed and I was wondering if using the Salon 40 whitening product would harm the black graphics on the cabinet. The clock motor doesn't work,but probably just needs a good cleaning. Also, I was wondering if the front lens separates from the cabinet. Any help would be appreciated before I start the restoration.

Thanks!

Do you have any tips or videos you saw for restoration, im going to embark on the same journey with the same model clock too. Its really different from the others as I have as it opens from the back with the circuit board blocking the mechanicals.

Comment

I never found any restoration videos for that clock. It was a challenge, but came out really nice. I have restored three more of this model Sony since I made this original post. I really like the design.
      Everything is really tight fitting in the cabinet. The circuit board comes out on a tray. The biggest challenge is removing the from lense. It is glued to the cabinet. Their are six tabs on the lense (I think) that are glued to the cabinet. I used a razor blade in a holder to slowly chip/cut away at the glue. Take your time and don’t force anything. Take pictures as you go. Their are screws that are slightly different lengths but look identical.

I used clear silicone chalk to reattach the front lense. I worked really good. Also, if the cabinet needs whitening, salon volume 40 works well and will not harm the black cabinet graphics.

Once completed, this clock looks great! It well worth the extra effort in my opinion. I really like how most Sony flips have lighted dials.

Good luck!

Comment

I got the clock cleaned and replaced the dial light, its the restringing of the dial that is proving to be difficult. I have the maintenance manual there, but even with directions it is still very confusing. Did you have to restring the dial on yours? How did you figure it out?

Comment

I did not have to restring the barrel style tuner. The bulb needed replacing on all of four of the ones I have restored. You can replace the bulb without messing around with the string. Did you take the string off when you replaced the light? Did you take any pictures before you removed the string? I wish I had given you this info earlier but I had forgotten that part of the restoration.

Were you able to remove the front lense from the cabinet?

Comment

I did in fact take the string off. I managed to get it put back on but I'm waiting on a tool to make the tiny knot on the tension spring. I didnt take the lense off, instead I just cleaned the cabinet and wipe the lenses as good as I could. I manhandle things too much and would have proabaly cracked it haha. What I'm a little bummed about was while drying the motor with alcohol, I pressed on the center bending the shroud and now it rubs against the windings making a noise that comes and goes. I've had this happen to me before but correcting the problem is almost impossible as it's hard to pin point where the bend is. Fortunately, the clock keeps time fine, and I'm hoping the noise isnt excessive. I dipped it in alcohol several times but I couldn't get the motor to spin free when plugged in after sitting for a while. This has been my most intensive clock repair so when it's all back together I'll share some pictures. Thanks for the info. Take care.

Comment

Here is a picture of one of them that I finished

Comment

Comment

There is the clock put back together. This clock is the most difficult to take apart and repair. The re stringing of the dial was challenging to say the least. I haven't got the dial accuracy the best and it could uses a few more hours in the sun to whiten it, but right now I just want to see it flip haha.

Comment

Looks nice. That model Sony is my favorite design. The lighted barrel tuner is very cool.

Comment

Hi,

I just disassembled my orange 8FC-100W. It really looks like it is hand wired completely.
                      While cleaning the motor, I also want to change the bulb in the barrel. I don't want to take the string off and you mention that it is possible to change the light without doing so. Can you give me any clues on how to change the bulb? Also, what kind of bulb is in there?

The motor makes some sounds, it is slightly bend and the shaft can be moved in and out a bit. It is the third time now that I took it out to clean and it won't make it much longer I fear. I'd rather have a new motor but it seems hard to get. Maybe someone here can point out a source for a new motor?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Comment

Looking for the same info as clocky. Would appreciate advise on how to change dial bulb without removing tuning string on 8FC-100W?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Comment

Hi,
                          Here is some info/tips on changing the tuning barrel bulb without removing the string. Carefully remove the “c” clip on the end of the barrel axle. Next remove the two screws holding the light bracket to the base. The string will stay in place as long as you don’t move it much.

Comment

• jgofish
                            jgofish commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I Have the same clock my problem is I cant figure what light goes in the dial indicator. If any one can help me with name #S and where to get that bulb Thank you James Fisher

• Jumblejeff
                            Jumblejeff commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I use a 6v “ grain of wheat” style bulb that I buy locally

Peroxide bleaching can be performed without removing the lens front...?

Comment

I have always removed the front lense. It’s not easy, but very do able if you take your time. Their are tabs inside that have been glued to the cabinet. I just slowly/carefully pick away at the glue until the tabs move freely. Once the lens is removed you can clean/polish it really good. i think it’s worth the extra effort. If you do remove the lens, tape off the black painted surface beneath it. The peroxide will ruin it. You can use flexible adhesive to re-attach the lens to the cabinet.

Comment

• henrypal
                              henrypal commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The back black part is separated from the cabinet or not ...?
                          Working...
                          X