Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falster RD500 restoration - looking for a tile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falster RD500 restoration - looking for a tile

As I've read her on the whitening process after joining I also fully dissassembled a Falster RD500. At first I just wanted to put some light in it and have a look at missing tiles...

I broke a tile when trying the super glue/soda trick. It worked for one tile (upper 23 - lower 24) but the second tile I tried to get the tile back out to file a little more because it didn't flip. A beginner's mistake, the tile scattered when trying to pull it back out. It is from finding the super glue/soda trick for tiles that I found my way here btw.

Furthermore I will assemble a bulb and provide the Falster with neon light though it didn't have illumination to begin with.

Details on the tiles mech included with measurements. I hope there is somebody in Western Europe who can help me out with a tile from their parts stock. I need an matching upper 24 - lower 25 tile. And maybe an upper 23 - lower 24 as a spare for the one I managed to fix.

For those interested, I posted in my introduction on another RD500 version, called Manta RD500.
    Last edited by Space72; February 12, 2018, 07:54 AM.

I have a similar clock for parts and would be willing to part with some tiles! Just send me a message...

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
      I have a similar clock for parts and would be willing to part with some tiles! Just send me a message...
      Thx. Message sent...

Comment

Hi! I ran across one of these beauties last saturday at a flea-market and picked it up for 4€. The radio is functional but the clock doesnt seem to be. The flip mechanism has gone out of sync (which I can hopefully fix with the help of your the flip clock fans video), but the mechanism confuses me.
        My plan is to bring it back to working condition, fix up the casing (and paint it black, because I cant stand the color) and add some lights.
        So I was wondering how your restoration went? Did you get the lights installed? How did you go about it? Any suggestions where it is best to leech the power off this board? (I have next to no electronics knowledge and I would love to avoid burning down the house)
        But here is what confuses me the most: the mechanism. It seems to be different than with your version of the clock. It seems to be missing the motor? Idk if someone ripped it out or whether this is an entirely different mechanism.
        Also notice that I have left two buttons attached. They really dont want to come off. Can I just pull them (harder), or is there a trick to it?

I would appreciate any help, tips or tricks.
        Thank you!

Comment

Ok, I realize you cant see the knobs Im talking about on the pictures... but Im at work and these are all the pics I have.
          The buttons that wont come off are the leftmost two. One is some kind of wierd double button to set the time and the alarm. The other is the sleepfunktion I believe. (Not quite sure though)

Thanks for your help!

Comment

So after some further investigation, I'm pretty damn sure somebody took the motor out of my clock.... which really sucks. Could somebody please tell me which motor belongs in there? I cant find anything online... Can I realistically get a replacement motor? Are there any other methods to replace the motor? Maybe some other (modern) clock mechanism? Or some other type of motor maybe?
            I would really appreciate any kind of help... I'm at my whits end here and I kind of fell in love with this clock, now that I have worked with it a little.

Comment

Hi R.F.D, looks like the motor case is on the back of your clock section, do you mean to say its empty inside of there?

Comment

Hi! Thx for the reply. No, I have no motor attached to the clock as far as I can see. Maybe you mistook the photos. I'm not op (that would be space72) His photos have something round attached to the back of the clock section which is missing in mine. I assume that would be the motor, right?
                Any ideas what I could use as a replacement?

Comment

Yeah I was looking at his photos it seems, when a clock like this has the dials on the front of the face the motor will be on the rear of the mechanism. There is enough of a variation between models that I can't recommend a source for the motor besides keeping an eye out for another of the same model, perhaps with case damage so you can combine the two.

Comment

Motor is definitively missing alright. It seems to be a Copal motor which was in there, but I'm not 100% sure.

It would be something like the motor you can see in the topic which I linked to this reply.

Unfortunately there are different types of this motor which at first glance look the same, but they are not interchangeable :-(

However, your clock does look a lot like the Tokyo RD500 Jumbo radio-flipclock. I have one of these clocks of which the radio is not working and I would be willing to let go of the whole unit for spares (for cash of course :-)

Just send me a private message when you're interested...
                    Copal 801 Large Flip Clock Help! I need a new motor. The clock repair shop is not going to offer a solution unless I provide a new motor. Does anyone have the

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Looks like the notification email ended up in my spam folder (again...).

Your motor is missing. I made one functional RD500 out of the Falster & Manta and sold it locally. So I could also sell you an RD500 for parts. Send me an pm.

As for taking power to put a neon light in it it is quite simple, it works on AC so you just have to solder the lamps leads together with the bundle of cables where also the power is soldered.

The (double) knobs come off put need some force. Best way is to prey them with some pliers from the inside. Give them a little push that is.

Why would you paint the case? What colour is it? Maybe a pic.

Best regards

Comment

Working...
                      X