Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 802 gearbox issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 802 gearbox issue

Good news everyone.... I got myself a Copal 802.

The motor was seized, but is now running smooth.
    The tiles flip as if the unit was manufactured yesterday. (manual)
    The green light is working.
    Superficial scratches and some yellowing of the plastic will be dealt with later.

There is only one thing of which I am unsure what the best way is to go forward. One of the plastic gears is cracked right down the middle along the axis. See the image below.
    • Can this be mended? If so, how would one go about doing that? I am currently thinking about a combination of glue and a tie-wrap.
    • Can this part be replaced? Are there any Copal's with either a similar gearbox or at the very least this particular part? I looked at a few Copals that I am currently working on (101, 228, 601) and none of these had something I could potentially use. Are the 801 or 802 the only viable donors?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copal802.png
Views:	99
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	29572

Glue will probably not hold, but you can fix this by putting a tightly fitting plastic tube around it, see this post: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...al-gear-repair
    The tube that you find in a bottle pump dispenser may be a good fit, see the foto below:

Name:	fetch?photoid=23301.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	29574

Congratulations on the Copal 802! That is a great looking clock that is still on my wishlist

Comment

It is indeed a good looking clock, but it pales in comparison with your 401 though. Especially the black version is the best looking flip clock out there. However, I consider myself lucky finding this 802. Besides the broken gear, it is in an amazingly good condition.

I will try to find a tube that fits, but it also gave me an idea. Has anyone ever tried to use heat shrink for this? I am unsure if it will last, but a tight fit practically guaranteed.

Comment

• Johan de Jong
        Johan de Jong commented
        Editing a comment
        Heat shrink, that might work! But be careful not to overheat it and melt the gear.

Is there supposed to be a bushing at 'A'? (see picture)

Because of the space at 'B', the center shaft can slip out of the hole at 'A'. Now if the plastic gear has a tight fit and is pressed against the metal at 'B', that might fix the problem. I still wonder if there also should be an extra bushing at 'A'. It wasn't there when I opened the casing, but I am not the first person to open this clock.

btw, I got the gear out.

Name:	image.png
Views:	47
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	29583

Comment

Working...
      X