Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal gear repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal gear repair

When a Copal motor gearbox fails, it’s usually either the first or the last gear in the series.

The last gear has a steel shaft with a spline on one end going through it that tends to split the plastic. The wall thickness on the upper portion of the gear is very thin. Over time and use it gets brittle. Several clock motors I have repaired have either failed or have a crack on this gear. I have been looking for a solution/ fix for a long time.

Finally the fix came from, of all thing, the handle of a frozen desert called a “push-up”. I buy them for my grandkids when they visit. They are a handheld cylinder of sherbet ice cream that pushes up with the handle.

The inside diameter of the handle is (3mm) The handle wall thickness is perfect and provides clearance for the matting gear. Cut to about 5mm in length, it has a nice snug fit. This closes the crack and holds really well. It acts as a ridged sleeve. I add a small amount of super glue to hold it in place. The shaft now fit tightly and will not slip. I had to make a simple spacer tool to press the shaft back into the repaired gear to set the height and alignment to the matting gear.

I don’t know what tolerance these push-up handles or the gear hold. The ones I have used them on so far fit very well and appear to be a solid repair. Next is to find a solution for the first gear. Unfortunately that one usually starts to breakdown and loose all its teeth.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	122709C5-C357-48EB-BD26-3CB089FE0E71.jpeg
Views:	783
Size:	576.5 KB
ID:	19910 Click image for larger version

Name:	BFDA776A-8E8B-42F6-8885-35FA6CAC04B5.jpeg
Views:	827
Size:	665.2 KB
ID:	19909 Click image for larger version

Name:	6F261629-77C2-4A02-8D67-64C650CEBFE2.jpeg
Views:	838
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	19908 Click image for larger version

Name:	366A7585-62F4-40D9-BA1F-B311A59B2B30.jpeg
Views:	785
Size:	589.6 KB
ID:	19911 Click image for larger version

Name:	26B3ABBC-8BAB-40C1-8527-164985BB24F7.jpeg
Views:	798
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	19912

That is indeed an issue I come across frequently, nice solution you found! I don't reckon they sell push-up here in Europe

With regard to the 1st plastic gear, I'm afraid the only real solution is replacing it with a new one.

Comment

Very creative fix. Good work. I have done something similar with shrink tubing and a very small amount of epoxy, but this is simpler and more elegant.

Comment

Very nice repair technique.
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Nice fix! For the first gear I have been looking for replacements online, but could not yet find any. The large gear has 40T and outside diameter 9.6mm and that calculates to a gear module of about 0.23, which is very small and unusual.

Comment

Hola. El reloj sanyo dejó de funcionar y el problema está en el engranaje de la salida que se rajó como en la foto.
            Una consulta: El buje de bronce (upper bushing) se puede extraer sin tener que quitar la tapa de la caja? Si es así, la reparación es mucho más fácil. Ya encontré un tubo de plástico para reemplazar al mango del helado

Comment

Hi,
              Yes the bronze bushing can be removed without taking off the aluminum plate that it’s mounted to. It’s a pressed fit. I use a pair of needle nose pliers. It will separate with a slight twisting motion. I’m assuming that the dust cover is already removed. The bushing will snap back in place after the gear is repaired but I add a small amount of super glue to make sure it is secure.

Comment

Hola. Si, la cubierta anti polvo la pude quitar con mucho cuidado (pude ver que alguien lo sacó antes, porque tenía rotas dos de las tres trabas). Ahora, también pude sacar el buje y el eje haciendo un ligero movimiento con una pinza en el buje, como me indicaste.
                Tengo el engranaje para reparar. Para su reparación conseguí un tanque de lapicera que entra un poco apretado. Lo voy a limar desde adentro con una mecha de taladro de 3 mm, para que no calce tan forzado.
                La reparación del engranaje va pegada?.El buje lo tengo que pegar? Todo lo que me puedas indicar es de gran ayuda.

Comment

En la 1º foto Modelo de motor
                  En la 2º foto la detección del problema, similar al que vos reparaste
                  En la 3º foto estoy preparando a modo de prueba el aro que fabriqué con el tanque de lapicera (acá se llama bolígrafo)
                  En la 4º foto el tanque o tubo del bolígrafo ya cortado para la donación
                  Attached Files

Comment

You can glue the hub if you would like, but don't glue it until you dry fit it to the shaft first. If the sleeve is too small it will be very difficult to install over the shaft. Check that everything is at the right height on the shaft so that there is clearance to the other gears and it is at the correct height to the matting gear.

Comment

If the show fits, wear it! Nice work!

Comment

La reparación del engranaje de salida quedó perfecta. Pero el reloj funciona a veces. Se siente un ruido muy bajo porque no acoplan bien un par de engranajes que están en una placa que se mueve para cambiar la frecuencia de 50 Hz a 60 Hz.
                        En 60 Hz. el engranaje gira, pero en 50 Hz. que es la frecuencia correcta queda suelto, sin engranar correctamente.
                        No se si esto tiene solución. Lo voy a estudiar ...

Comment

Despues de mirar el funcionamiento en general de la caja de engranajes, veo que mientras no está acoplada al motor funciona bien. Cuando la caja de engranajes la acoplo con el motor, funciona hasta el momento en que debe liberar la placa de los minutos. Ahí se queda trabado y empieza a hacer un ruido "tic tic" y los engranajes no giran mas. ¿será falta de lubricación del reloj y sus placas? ¿o será que los engranajes se limaron y cuando tiene que hacer fuerza saltan? Agradeceré alguna opinión experta. Gracias

Comment

You may have another gear that is worn. It my be the first one in the gearbox train that mates with the brass gear on the motor.

Comment

Working...
                            X