Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace quartz clock in HABITAT FLAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace quartz clock in HABITAT FLAP

Hello, my good old "Habitat Flap" clock has had a new problem for some time: the quartz clock no longer runs. The battery is new, and when I turn the quartz clock by hand, the date and day of the week are correctly flipped forward, so the mechanism still works, but the impulse from the quartz clock is missing, as it has now stopped permanently.
    I'm afraid I'll have to replace the quartz clock, but I haven't been able to find a suitable one yet, as a cable with a trigger pulse must be connected (I only see that the manufacturer is "SKP", i.e. SEIKO).
    Question: Can anyone tell me the exact name of the quartz clock I need and where I can buy it?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Norbert
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-08-24 08.53.58.jpg
Views:	1512
Size:	812.4 KB
ID:	28684 Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-08-24 08.54.54.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	28685

Hi Norbert,

It can be be difficult to find a replacement for the mechanism, but maybe you can still fix it. Here is a video that maybe helpful (just one I found on the topic that show what you will encounter):

Other people on this forum also had issues with this clock, but most had a dodgy connection from the time movement to the date movement. So I don't think this will help you much, but anyway, here it is: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...p-clock-repair

Comment

Hi Johan,
      thanks for your quick reply, I will try the repair!
      Many greetings
      Norbert​

Comment

Hi Johan,
        unfortunately the repair didn't work, I found out that the case is broken and the quartz watch can't be brought back to life.... ;-(
        I'm afraid I'll have to look for a new movement or give up the watch.

Any idea where I could look for a replacement?
        Greetings Norbert​

Comment

Pity that you not repair the motor, it was worth a try.
          You could try to contact the manufacturer, I believe it it originally made by Fartech.
          Or look on Amazon or AliExpress, but with so many variations and poor descriptions it is difficult to find the right one.

Comment

Thank you for your support, I'll check with the manufacturer. Or make friends with the idea of buying a new one... ;-)

Comment

Hi Norbert,

I’ve fixed a few of these, the clock mechanism rarely fails to be honest, but you will need :

SKP Quartz mechanism with approx 15mm shaft length, ensure it has the correct dia shafts for hands, hour (dia 5.6mm), minute (dia 3.5mm) and able to take a second hand.

The mechanisms are available to buy on Amazon or eBay etc, but you need to make sure you get the correct sizes as above or you’ll have problems.

I would gladly fix this for you, ( it’s not as straight forward as it looks unfortunately) but presume it wouldn’t be worth the cost sending to UK to be fixed……
              Last edited by Jonjon1; September 20, 2023, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X