Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sears Rotary Clock Identification and Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sears Rotary Clock Identification and Repair

Hey everybody,

I'm new here but I found this forum in my search for answers about an old Sears, Roebuck and Co "Tradition" clock that I have. It was an art project from a friend and so I am hoping to restore it to working condition. It's not exactly a flip clock, as it has wheels that spin constantly for the numbers rather than numbers that flip down, but I hope that it is still close enough for this forum. Its model number begins with a 7 but that's about all I can make out, and I'm wondering if anyone could help me identify it and/or fix it.

The problem I'm having is that the seconds wheel of the clock will run fine until until it gets to the end and it needs to move to the next minute. At this point, it freezes and won't move on. If I manually move the clock to the next minute and then turn it back on, it will continue ticking again until that next minute is up, at which time it will get stuck again. When manually advancing the time, it is noticeably more difficult to move the clock past that point at the end of the minute where it gets stuck electronically, so I'm wondering if there's some sort of physical resistance that is preventing the clock from running smoothly. In fact, right now I actually somehow got it stuck where it won't move more than about 10 degrees in either direction without applying enough force that I'm worried I might break it.

I haven't taken it apart yet, but I would appreciate any and all advice on how to do so, and what to look to fix it once I have it open based on the issue I'm having.

My pictures were too big to upload to the forum, but here is a link to a few pictures for reference: https://imgur.com/a/JErkdtq

Cheers!

Hi, what you got there is called a "roll clock" or "cyclometer". I'm not sure what it exactly is. Sears was an American chain of department stores that imported all kind of products so it is probably some rebranded Japanese clock, but I cannot find yet which one.

From what you describe I think it just needs a good clean and gentle lubrication. The good new is that the motor is still working. If that one stops things get a lot more difficult. Cyclometer are not too difficult mechanisms, so I would just see whether you can take it apart. And in case you feel in doubt just post more pictures here and we can help. One very important tip: take plenty of pictures at each step before you take anything apart!

Comment

Found it! It is a Sears Roebuck Tradition Model 71742:
      Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Vintage Retro Sears Roebuck Alarm Clock Tradition Model 71742 Tested Japan at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

Wow thank you so much for tracking down the model number!! And I'm glad to hear that it seems reparable!

For cleaning and lubricating it, what tools and lubrication should I use? I have compressed air but that's probably the only relevant thing I have. Also, do I want to put lubricant between the gears, or more on the spindles, or just everywhere? (I still haven't opened it yet so I don't really know what's going on in there.)

I will be sure to take pictures along the way in case I get stuck anywhere.

Comment

You will probably need some small screwdrivers and wrenches that for any screws or nuts you need to loosen.
          To cleanup you I would use gasoline.
          To lubricate any light oil will do (not WD40, that is not a lubricant!).

To get an idea what to expect, here are some examples:
          This is a nice small cyclometer clock from the Japanese Koseisha/Kosei corporation. It is very basic: no alarm, no light, no radio, no AM/PM, just the time. Ah, and moving seconds, some luxury! P1010799.jpeg P1010801.jpeg At the bottom there is a small door that gives access to two drums for the minutes. By turning these you

How does the alarm setting work? I get the lever in the back but no matter what I set the alarm wheel to, it doesn't go off at that marked time. Am I going about it wrong or is something off with the mechanism?

A neat small desktop alarm clock, this ITT Nova GB 13. (filedata/fetch?id=25268&d=1656320174) (filedata/fetch?id=25269&d=1656320175) It is a 12 hour roll clock with a 24 hour alarm. The red/white indicator left of the hours indicates whether is it day or night. The button on the left sets the alarm and when pushed

The first one is a really simple one and shows more or less how a rol clock works. Yours is probably more like the other two.

First step would be to open up the case. I have never seen you clock before so I'm not sure how to open it. The back cover is probably held in place by some lips on the inside. I can only recommend to carefully try to push and pull around the edges with you fingers to see whether you can release these tabs (do not use a screwdriver or anything like that or you will damage the plastic). Possibly you need to loosen the one screw at the back. The other two I would leave for now since these likely only hold the mechanism to the case and are not attached to the cover.

Once open you can try to find out what makes it get stuck. When it comes to lubricating only lightly lubricate the axles where the drums or gears pivot on. There is no need to lubricate anything else (it will just collect dirt).

Please send another photo if you get it open! I'm also curious what's in there

Comment

Working...
          X