Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sankyo components switch model 4000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sankyo components switch model 4000

Hello. I purchased a Sankyo model 4000 from Germany. I live in the US. Since the 4000 is 220v I would like to know has anyone switched the entire internal components between different Sankyo cases? So I can use a 120v setup in the 4000 clock case? Rather than running a step up converter? It seems many cyclometer models look similar except for the outer shell or case Is this an easy switch or doable? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hello,

I own several Sankyo cyclometers. Although the internals are often similar, there are also differences, so you can not just interchange the internals with any other Sankyo. You are more likely to interchange just the motor and the light.

Sankyo used as far as I know two types of motors: an Intermatic motor and a "sealed can" type motor similar to Telechron motors. Both these motors come in variants for the different voltages and frequencies in the world. And there are versions from Japan where there is a lever to switch between 50 and 60 Hz.
    Bit of a difficulty is that Sankyo in some models (including the 4000) used both motor types and you just cannot see from the outside which motor it is. Here is a list of which motor is used in which Sankyo model: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...ock-motor-list. Replacing a motor is easy when it is the same type, but I'm not sure if you can replace a Intermatic with a "sealed can" type or vice versa.

Changing the light may be a bit harder as it is mounted inside the drumrolls and replacing it is a bit fiddly work. If you are skilled in electronic and soldering you can also consider to replace it with a new one. These neon bulbs tend to get black after 50 years. New neon bulbs are still sold today. You need to replace both the bulb and the resistor for the voltage you are going to run it on.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you so much for the insight and advice. I appreciate it. I will see how it goes when I open it up.

Comment

Hello,

I have a Sanyo 412 with a dim light. I believe I am all set to order the A1A bulb, but I have never opened a device like this before. Is there anyone here that wouldn't mind walking me through it? I first need to know what tools to get. Thank you, Diana

PS sorry if this was answered already I M having trouble with the search bar. TY

Comment

Hello Diana,

Opening up the Sankyo 412 is easy. Here is a picture of the inside of my Sankyo 401 (similar model without the light).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3366.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	28799

You can just pull off the knobs on the left. I'm not sure anymore if the chrome plate was screwed or not, but I think that also needs to be removed. Then loosen two screws at the bottom and the case comes apart.

To get an idea to what is needed to replace the light please watch these two video's:

As you can see in these video's you will need:
          - a neon bulb and the accompanying resistor for the voltage the clock will run on (110V / 230V),
          - soldering tools,
          - and probably some pvc and/or heat-shrink tubing.

I'm not sure where the bulb in the 412 is mounted. It can be outside the number wheels or in some Sankyo models it is mounted inside the drum rolls to light the numbers from inside. This can be a bit more tricky to replace.

Good luck! It is a good looking clock and worth repairing.

Regards, Johan

Comment

Looking for a battery for the Sankyo 412. Any ideas where to purchase? Thx

Comment

As far as I know the Sankyo 412 runs from mains power, so why would you need a battery?

Comment

• Lydia23
                Lydia23 commented
                Editing a comment
                So sorry, I didn't mean to say battery, I meant motor. You are totally right it does run on electricity.

Sorry, not battery but raher a motor. Thanks

Comment

The motor used in this Sankyo clock was made by Intermatic. If you search online for 'Intermatic motor' or 'Arrow ball clock motor' you will find replacement motors or parts. Make sure you get the right type for the mains voltage and frequency in your area.

A common problem with these motors is one broken gear. If you feel adventurous and have the right tools and skills, you may want to try to repair the gear. See this post for details how to do that: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...nning-too-fast

Comment

Working...
                X