Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanimex 1920 (Sankyo Digital 4000) Cyclometer Clock Resoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanimex 1920 (Sankyo Digital 4000) Cyclometer Clock Resoration

Hi all first time posting here and wanted to get some advice on a few issues that need resolving with my cyclometer clock.

The good:
    • Neon light and alarm work fine.
    • Clock mechanism seems to work fine and all the visible gears also look ok
    The bad:
    • The Sankyo motor doesn't turn.
    • The orange plastic case has darkened over time.
    Does anyone have some advice for lightening the plastic to its original orange? Is it worth trying the retro bright method with coloured plastic?

Are these Sankyo motors serviceable / fixable? If the motor isn't salvageable I'm liking the idea of replacing the motor with a stepper motor and Arduino. Has anyone done anything like this before?

Should also mention that I'm in Australia and the clock runs on 240V @ 50Hz.

Thanks everyone!

Hello and welcome...

I have used the peroxide method on colored (coloured) plastic. I have done it only twice on red plastic with one Toshiba and one Hitachi. The results were subtle so not sure I would do it again unless the plastic REALLY needed it.

These motors are serviceable with the common replacement gear available from a few sellers on Ebay. I don't recall if they had 50hz gears. I have also seen full motors for sale. These are commonly referred to as "Intermatic" motors.

Comment

Hi and welcome! I have succesfully repaired several of these Intermatic motors using gears that I bought on Ali Express. See this post: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...nning-too-fast We incrementally improved the methods so read all the way to the end.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone, just some further things I've discovered below.
        • The small 12t gear has perished and I have since scrapped it out, will look to replace with one of those aliexpress gears.
        • The extent of the darkened plastic shown in the second photo. The alarm leaver cap is the original colour, will attempt the peroxide method eventually, its winter here currently so not much sun light.

Comment

Interestingly I spot a small difference in the motor. In the ones I repaired both the rotor and 12 teeth gear were sitting on a brass bushing that rotates around a fixed axle. In yours I do not see that brass bushing. The hole in your gear is thus smaller, so beware of this when ordering those gears.

Comment

Yes I noticed that too once I scraped the old gear off. There is a smaller white plastic bushing rather than brass.

Comment

Some photos of the white plastic bushing

Comment

Good to know that there are different versions. The diameter of the bushing does not look that different, so drilling the bore hole in the gear will still need to be done with care. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Managed to fix it on the weekend using the gears from Aliexpress as suggested. A big thank you to everyone that helped out!

Comment

Congratulations! Glad you could save that lovely Sankyo from the scrapheap

Be aware that not all Sankyo models have the same motor. Some have a different motor that is more difficult to repair. A list of which model has which motor can be found in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnathan Terlato View Post
                      The extent of the darkened plastic shown in the second photo. The alarm leaver cap is the original colour, will attempt the peroxide method eventually, its winter here currently so not much sun light.
                      Hi Jonathan,
                      I'm curious: did you try the peroxide method and did it work? I have successfully applied it to white plastic but never to coloured plastic. Online I read mixed messages on whether it could work on coloured plastic.

Comment

Working...
                      X