Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sun valley model 1030

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun valley model 1030

I just unboxed this cool little yellow clock. The motor runs but the tiles are messed up. The light works but it’s very dim. The cabinet has vey light scratches but no cracks.

I’m looking for some help opening the cabinet of this little clock. I don’t see a seam. If anyone has restored one of these and has any tips, it would be great.

thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	46FB4EEB-87FB-43B7-8EA7-490E4ECB960E.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	16652 Click image for larger version

Name:	0C624060-901D-4F75-B233-9D376B631A04.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	16653

You pop put the front clear piece. You can lift up the top and it will separate a bit allowing you to use something to gently pry that clear plastic out.
    The Faces West Model 3600 shown below is the same clock as your 1030

About 2 minutes into the video below I show how to do this.

The video is kind of wonky because I keep dropping quotes from the movie.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I used a little suction cup on the window to help move it in and out.

Comment

Great! thank you both. I thought maybe the lens was the way in but didn’t want to break anything. I have a small suction cup also, great idea

Bingo!

Got it! Thanks guys

Name:	76ADFEAE-A4AC-4011-B8BF-798AD02B6FFF.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	857.3 KB
ID:	16661

Comment

Everything comes out the front. The motors are a pain in the a**. They are usually VERY packed full of old grease and take a lot of cleaning. I may have some pics if I can find them.

Comment

• Jumblejeff
            Jumblejeff commented
            Editing a comment
            How did you get the motor open? It doesn’t look easy.

No pics Sorry...I guess I didn't document the Ricoh I worked on (same clock).

Comment

Well I was able to fix the tiles that were falling together. At first I thought it was related to the clock movement but it turned out to be the tiles were stuck together. Something got on them possibly when someone tried to oil the movement. I’m not sure what it was but they were really stuck together. Fortunately it came off by wiping them gently with warm soap and water.

The motor is different than the Copal style I’m used to. Unfortunately, the motor is a “ticker”. All the gears look fine and seems to run smooth. I watched the video and their was a mention of a ticking noise in the movie the clock was in. I’m wondering if this is a inherent problem with this design.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumblejeff View Post

The motor is different than the Copal style I’m used to. Unfortunately, the motor is a “ticker”. All the gears look fine and seems to run smooth. I watched the video and their was a mention of a ticking noise in the movie the clock was in. I’m wondering if this is a inherent problem with this design.
              No. They’re not supposed to tic. The makers of the movie just included a real ticking clock sound because they were wacky. If you saw the movie you’d know what I mean. I have 3 variants of these and none make that noise.
              ~ Mackey Site Administrator
              If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
              If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Do you know if that motor can be serviced? It’s a bummer this thing ticks. The rest of it is in great shape.

I didn’t see the Engineers post on the motor. Motor packed with grease and a Pita. I wonder if that’s the source of the tick.

Comment

The motor can be disassembled. The gearbox is loosely toleranced so the the grease actually acts as a buffer to the gears won't walk along their shafts. The one I worked on was PACKED with grease, but it had hardened. After cleaning I packed it with synthetic wheel bearing grease. I mean PACKED. It ran fairly quietly after that.

Comment

Ok thanks I’ll give it a shot and repack the gearbox with new grease. Was the ticking noise the reason you serviced the gearbox? I’m just wondering if that’s the source of the noise. The external gears look fine and appear to run smoothly.

Comment

The one I worked on was a red Ricoh (same guts) and it clacked like a steam locomotive. It was very clicky-ticky. I do remember that the Japanese company that made the motor was STILL in business in Japan and actually made a replacement motor (for some other application), but it was 220v only if memory serves.

Comment

Haha... steam locomotive. Thats what I have going on. Well I guess their is a chance I can quiet this thing down.
                        Thanks for all the great info. I just thought the yellow color was cool. I knew nothing of how it works. If any of these old clocks have “made in Japan” on then I tend to think they are good, but it’s not always the case.

Comment

Nice little clock you have there and I have nothing to add with regard to getting it to work again, all good and useable tips!

So it is actually yellow, I have seen a similar or perhaps this one for sale some time ago and I just figured it was discolored for I have never seen a yellow one, cool!

Comment

Here is a photo of the little motor that powers this clock. The motor is the source of the “tick” now that it’s separated from the external gears. Is their a good way to get this open? Their is 3 spots where the outer is staked to the inner portion. Their is some play (in/out) on the axle with the small brass gear.

Name:	59FF891B-3061-447D-B013-72D68F7ACBAA.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	741.9 KB
ID:	16687 Click image for larger version

Name:	D432B166-2F7B-42BD-8DF1-1A9FD9ADCE81.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	16688

Comment

Working...
                            X