Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A shipment from Japan! Copal RP-200, Panasonic RC-6035, Panasonic RC-6001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A shipment from Japan! Copal RP-200, Panasonic RC-6035, Panasonic RC-6001

So a large package arrived early from Japan today, and it's full of clocks! Three of them to be exact! One is a Copal RP-200, in unknown condition but seems to work, a Panasonic RC-6035, which I've never had one of these before, and a Panasonic RC-6001, which is my favorite of the three and I'm super excited about.

I started on the RP-200 first. You don't even need to remove any screws to open these clocks, this is the one Copal you should use a screwdriver to CAREFULLY pop the tabs on the case and open. The motor was stuck, so some WD-40 and clock oil later, it's running perfectly. Low hour clock too, as the neon bulb has barely any use and the plastic mechanism is in good condition. This mechanism is really one of the later Copal designs which I've had yet to run into.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.jpeg
Views:	532
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	14974

Name:	IMG_0822.jpeg
Views:	398
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	14975

Name:	IMG_0824.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	14976

The RC-6035 came next, I have had zero experience with these kinds of Panasonics, let alone a Japanese market one. I opened it up, and immediately realized someone tried to spray the flip tiles with a lubricant to make the clock work better, ugh. I wanted to try to clean these all at once, so I sprayed the whole mechanism down with isopropyl alcohol, and cleaned that off using a microfiber and compressed air. After drying, it flips like normal again. Cleaning / oiling the motor had it keeping time normally again.

Here's where I'm stuck with this clock: I took apart the sleep / radio switch to clean the contacts, and this metal piece came out. I have no idea what way this goes back in, so if someone could tell me or post a service manual for a similar clock, that'd be appreciated!

Name:	IMG_0825.jpeg
Views:	607
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	14977

Name:	IMG_0826.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	14978

Name:	IMG_0832.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	14979

The copal is nice! Never seen the insides of these before. It goes to prove once again that they were making them cheaper and cheaper over the years as opposed to really early clocks they produced, all plastic on the inside. It makes it easier to repair, however, how this will hold up in 20 to 30 years? Time will tell

Comment

Man, you got some good looking clocks!

No idea about the loose part. Looks too thin to be any sort of reinforcement, though with the hole in it I wonder if it doesn't slip around some plastic piece for some purpose. Hopefully someone with more experience than I have can help you further. Thanks for sharing these, can't wait to see more!

Comment

I believe that loose piece goes UNDER the white plastic cover of the turn-switches on top. Looks like someone tried to do some work on it and that piece came out. I think it moves across the traces of the circuit board to activate the sleep timer.

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer View Post
          I believe that loose piece goes UNDER the white plastic cover of the turn-switches on top. Looks like someone tried to do some work on it and that piece came out. I think it moves across the traces of the circuit board to activate the sleep timer.
          I think you're right on that. My question is, what way is it oriented / installed INSIDE the white plastic case?

Comment

Yes, if I recall correctly it is moved by the sleep turn-knob under the plastic cover so that metal part "glides" across the contact traces on the circuit board. I think it can only install one way under there.

Comment

To have a US version of the RC-6035 I can open up and look for the location of the piece if you can’t figure it out. I have had it along time so I don’t remember that part.

Comment

I figured it out. It does glide along the contacts like Engineer said. Thanks for the offer Jeff, appreciate it. Took some photos so that people in the future who clean these can figure it out.

Name:	IMG_0838.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	15012

Name:	IMG_0839.jpeg
Views:	347
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	15013

Name:	IMG_0840.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	15014

Replaced the bulb too. It's a smaller bulb than what was included originally, but it is nice and bright and fits fine.

Name:	IMG_0842.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	15015

Also had to get creative on how to polish the front panel so as to not remove the painted lines and text. Ended up being alright, I didn't go crazy with the polishing though, so there's still a few scratches, but they're invisible dead on. I didn't sand it.

Took the front plastic off and cleaned the inside too, that was VERY dirty, and cleaning it was really satisfying lol.

Name:	IMG_0843.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	15016

Name:	IMG_0844.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	15017

Can't believe I fixed it, I wonder how rare these red ones are? I polished the case a little afterwards and now it looks great for it's age. Coming up, the RC-6001.

Name:	IMG_0846.jpeg
Views:	404
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	15018

Comment

Made some progress on the RC-6001. Cleaned it inside and out, it was FILTHY. But now, it's coming along nicely. I test fit the LED strip I got from Engineer. Looks great actually! The top radio knob and sleep knob have some damage, so I'll have to find a replacement for either at some point. What's funny is this clock didn't even have a front lamp when I got it, the bulb and holder and wiring was totally gone. So it's the perfect clock to do this LED conversion on.

Name:	IMG_0878.jpeg
Views:	363
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	15222

Comment

The red versions were Japan-only. JDM. The only issue will be using it for FM here in the states since it will only catch a few lower-frequency stations, especially if you decide to sell them. Some people may not mind and only use AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer View Post
                      The red versions were Japan-only. JDM. The only issue will be using it for FM here in the states since it will only catch a few lower-frequency stations, especially if you decide to sell them. Some people may not mind and only use AM.
                      I've seen one red version on eBay for an ASTRONOMICAL price (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-F...sAAOSw24hclnzv) that seems to have been European because it's 220v. The radio isn't too big a deal to me personally because my local NPR station which I usually set all my clocks to is 89.7, just below the cutoff haha. I plan on keeping this clock because it's so rare and I'm modifying it to my taste with the LED's.

Comment

That guy modifies some of his items and is sometimes fast and loose with his descriptions. Just an FYI

I think that unit had its internals swapped and I have seen him post items that were gutted and changed up.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think anyone that asks what he asks for his items is in their right mind. New in box is one thing, and also, as someone that takes the time to hand-type every eBay description, his videos are pretty lacking in terms of describing what you're paying all that money for.

Comment

Finished the RC-6001 this morning. For some reason after sanding and polishing the scratched front crystal, it has an odd pattern in it I've never seen. I re-polished both sides to see if I could remove it, but it seems to be in there for good. Guess I'll have to find a replacement crystal at some point for one of these.

Name:	IMG_0940.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	15322

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0942.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	192.6 KB ID:	15317

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0943.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	200.4 KB ID:	15318

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0944.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	209.5 KB ID:	15319

Also polished the outside and lubed up the inner axle on the motor. I didn't want to break the whole cover for the gearbox so I made a small crack into it using a hobby knife. That worked pretty well. Gonna need to start looking for replacements or ideas on how to rebuild those knobs, too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0910.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	193.6 KB ID:	15320

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0945.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	182.9 KB ID:	15321

Comment

The brittle and yellowed plastic gearbox cover WILL eventually crumble and contaminate the gears. Even more now that it is compromised. Best to fully remove it. It's merely a dust cover.

Will dust get into the motor now? Probably, but not at a rate to worry about for a very long, long time.

The plastic swirl that seems to be IN the clear acrylic, as opposed to the surface, is something I have seen from time to time. Not sure what causes it, but I assume it is age related.

Comment

Working...
                              X