Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulb Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulb Assembly

Hi all, I need a new neon bulb assembly for my RC 7021. Anyone have 1 for sale? Thanks Rodney rodrookey@gmail.com

Hello!
    Do you mean just the neon bulb? Or the bulb with a resistor? Or The aluminum holder that holds the bulb on top of the flip clock mechanism?
    SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Hi Thanks for the reply. I know I can purchase a 50 pack of the NE-2 bulbs. And I am sure I can find the 33k resistor if I need one. But I was reading that the plastic tubing was a bit more difficult to come by as I may need some if I cant take mine apart without destroying ir. I did read someplace that someone had for sale a replacement assembly complete with all 3 parts put together. Do you know if there is such an assembly available?

Comment

How do you mean? Have you taken your machine apart yet?

You should be able to just pull the sleeve back (that's what I did - the black woven tube under the bulb simply pulls back) and desolder the old resistor and bulb. Then you should be able to solder on the new bulb and resistor and pull the sleeve back on just under the neon bulb.

Even if you had to cut the sleeve that covers the wires and the resistor, you can put it back on and tape it together with some electrical tape. Another solution would be to use heat-shrink tubing if your old sleeve cannot be reused.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8854.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	707.2 KB
ID:	6808

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8855.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	602.2 KB
ID:	6807
        SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

I may have an assembly laying around. I've sent you an email.
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I've thought about heatshrink tubing, would that work? It would be an affordable and elegant solution in my opinion.

I have to order up some lights and resistors soon anyway and the shop that sells them also has the heat shrink.

What I want to know is what kind of electrical cable to use for replacement, because sometimes you cannot reuse the cable...

Comment

As far as the wires for the bulbs I'd recommend 28 gauge silver coated copper strand wire. There are many places on ebay that you can get this. It's usually military surplus and referred to as "Mil-spec" wire. This type of wire is rated for very high temperature. It's higher grade than needed, but that is the kind of stuff that the original manufacturers actually used.

As far are heat shrink. .... Absolutely. Seriously, who's going to be looking in there anyway. As long as it's neat (so it fits) and safe, it's a perfect solution.
              ~ Mackey Site Administrator
              If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
              If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Will have a look for the wire, thanks! Up until now I have always reused it, but sometimes it does not work or is too short...

Comment

Working...
                X