Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ansonia Plato Flip Clock - 1902?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ansonia Plato Flip Clock - 1902?

Hello, New member here. A friend of mine has asked me to help her sell her antique flip clock, I have identified it as a Plato Clock by Ansonia circa 1902 -1906 (not entirely sure of the dates). So I though I would post it here and ask about the best way to find a buyer for it. I see alot of items here are on eBay, but as this is such an antique I wondered if there was another site that would be more appropriate. Any ideas are certainly welcome, I would like to find her a fair price. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_085103.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	723.6 KB
ID:	6565

Personally, I think that you can potentially get more for this clock on eBay than anywhere else. They tend to sit on Etsy.com for an extended period.
    The clock has patent dates in 1902 and 1903 but they were produced up until about 1910 I believe. There were many others made in Germany and France (since they did not recognize our patents) and in the US a reproduction was made in the 1960 (people frequently get this confused with the original but it will have the name Horolovar on it). The one you have is a true version but probably a little closer to 1910 as the earlier ones tended to be key wound. People tend to fall into a trap thinking that these are extremely rare and I once saw someone claim that only 4000 were made. However, the actual number is around 40,000. Surely not that many have survived, so they're relatively rare but not impossible to find.

Please don't be offended, but compared to the others I've seen (I actually have one of the round versions) the case is in pretty poor condition. But it looks like original glass, good tiles and the fingers are still present. That redeems it considerably (I'd really play that up in a listing). Anyway, there's really no telling how much you'd get on eBay. But you'll get more on eBay than from hardcore horologists as they would know the clock can be found in better condition.

Currently there is one on eBay of the same type you've shown for $478. It will sell, I'm sure. See picture below and listing link.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	plato.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	6567eBay link
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thank you so much! I do appreciate the straight answer, good advice!

Comment

Working...
      X