Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally found a Digi-Tel clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally found a Digi-Tel clock

Since this post I have been looking for a clock with the Telechron Digi-Tel mechanism because I was curious how this worked. It took a bit of patience, but then this "Falster RD-2000" came along. Not the best looking clock, but it has the mechanism and I got it at a nice price.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030421.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.9 KB ID:	27011

It is made in Korea but clearly aimed at the German market. Bit unclear how this clock was used. It does not have any feet at the bottom but instead it has four screws on the back with which it could be attached to something. The discolouring suggests it has been possibly been built into some casing or cupboard.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030422.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	27010

At first it looks like nothing was wrong with the clock but upon inspection I found a broken part inside. This was just the excuse I needed to take it apart and satisfy my curiosity I ended up taking it further apart than necessary but, well, I just wanted to know every detail (a decision I regretted when I had to put it all back together again ).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4320.jpg Views:	0 Size:	409.0 KB ID:	27012 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4321.jpg Views:	0 Size:	511.2 KB ID:	27013

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4325.jpg Views:	0 Size:	483.5 KB ID:	27014

It is an amazing piece of engineering! In short it has a mask on the front with 7 segment cutouts for the digits, that is lit from two light bulbs at the back and in between there are horizontal and vertical moving shutters that open and close the segments. These shutters are driven from three cam wheels. Each cam wheel has a track on both sides, one driving the horizontal shutter and one for the vertical shutter. On the cam wheel for the hours the side of the wheel also has a function: it opens and closes the shutter for '1' in front of the 10, 11 and 12 hours.
    All this is propelled by a Telechron S motor via some complicated levers. Interestingly some levers use gravity rather than springs to keep their positions, so it will only operate correctly when upright.

The changing of the numbers is fascinating to watch but also confusing. When changing from 4 to 5 it in between briefly shows 2, 0 and 8. Here is a video showing it in action:

That is one cool clock! Looking at the shape and the mounts at the back, I suspect it was part of a bed frame...

Thanks for the photos as well, they will/might come in handy in the future!

Comment

I think it could be made for under a kitchen cabinet, I thought I had a catalog with similar one and will look for it.

Comment

I was thinking in line of a it being part of a bed frame, maybe in a hotel, or a kitchen. I could not find any picture though showing that use (or actually hardly any reference to this clock at all).

Regarding the lights: mine does not have any heating issue (yet), but it also has a high/low switch for the light switching between 5.3/2.2 VAC. I run it mostly on low to stretch the life of the incandescent bulbs.
        : do you know where I could source these bulbs or their LED replacements in case mine stop working? What type number/code should I be looking for?

Comment

Here's the one that it reminded me of, this was from 1975, in the most recent catalog I shared:

Click image for larger version  Name:	midland-scan.jpg Views:	0 Size:	899.0 KB ID:	27021

Comment

Cool find, I missed that! So Johan's clock might have had a pedestal base at some point or at least, that was an option when new...

Comment

Fantastic! That Midland looks really similar. It is pretty likely mine had the same pedestal-mount.
              Thanks for solving that burning question!

Comment

The mechanism really is hypnotic. I tried for a long time to find one, but they're mighty rare. Thanks for sharing the video of it doing it's thing!

Comment

Working...
                X