Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GE “Lumitime-style” clock radio from the 60s? 70s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE “Lumitime-style” clock radio from the 60s? 70s?

Unfortunately, the sticker with the model number was long gone when I first bought it a few years ago, but here is my General Electric clock radio with the Lumitime-style mechanism. It requires 2 6v T10 bulbs for the backlight (when I first got it, the original bulbs were burned out). Think I paid $5 for it at the thrift store back in 2016-2017

For its age, it works pretty well and the radio is pretty decent as well.

Wow. What a find and thanks for sharing this. Never seen the likes of it.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Cool clock! It appears to be the same clockwork as a clock I got in Germany and for which I had to resort to a webshop in the US to buy 2 new 6V bulbs last year. Picture attached. It runs on 220v but I bet the clockwork is the same.

Comment

Very nice find!

But now I see the inside it makes me curious how it actually works.
        What I understood about the Lumitime mechanism is that it uses a light bulb per segment that is switched on and off by contacts on a rotating drum.
        But if this mechanism uses only two lights as a backlight, how are the segments switched on and off?

Comment

I believe it's called telchron digitel, I have also seen this type called an occlusion movement as it's moving plates of light blocking areas to create the numbers. I have several of these and almost all got to me with the bulbs out.

Pictures of inside

(last post has links to related patents)

Comment

Wow, that is a really cool mechanism! The post you referred to also links to this short video:

Very nice to see it in action. I can imagine it may have caused some confusion as when the time changes it shows some false readings.
            I did not know these existed, but now I do, I want one!

Comment

You can check ebay.de, they were labelled as 'Wigo'... Every now and then one pops up, you just need to convince the seller to ship to your country, they are mostly a bit conservative about that.

Comment

Where can I buy the 6V bulbs?

Comment

the ones that I got came from Farnell usa, their order code is: 127-3311, description: 259-10pk

what they have in stock, is it, they can get no more, they are no longer being manufactured...
                  Last edited by flipoclock; September 17, 2022, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I have several of these clocks. You can get the bulbs on Amazon, 10 for $6. Search for this:

CEC Industries Bulbs, 6.3 V, 1.575 W, W2.1x9.5d Base, T-3.25 (Box of 10)

Comment

Thank you, I purchased the bulbs from Amazon and they work great. After running the clock for a while, it has started to squeak a little as the numbers change. Should the clock be lubricated at all?

Comment

I'd be cautious, because I've ruined one of these movements by lubricating with WD40, and also with sewing machine oil inside the transparent pane.
                        The shutters are delicate, and one of the segments leaked light afterwards. It's ok to oil the plastic cog wheels, they're like tracks that guide the shutters. That may work, depending on where the squeak is from.

Comment

Working...
                        X