Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony JetSensor Worldclock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony JetSensor Worldclock

It seems like a simple enough clockwork... Anybody venture to guess on how it tells worldtime? I do like the design on it. I might put in a bid
    Jeco☆SONY☆ソニー☆プラス・トリニトロン☆Jetsensor☆ジェットセンサー世界時計☆置時計☆ジャンク品☆実寸サイズ縦:約22.5cm横:約22.5cm(素人採寸のため誤差はご了承ください)☆状態電池を入れても動かないため、ジャンク品としての出品となります。また、盤面には若干の汚れが見

Neat! At a glance, it looks very similar to the more common Howard Miller (and various other branded) World Time clocks we have here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	feb345bdf3fdd6a3037cfa9ad735fc99.png
Views:	54
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	19726

Compared to the Howard Miller:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bc279b005bdb2d0ed49532c28a7c7c02.png
Views:	49
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	19727

If I had to guess, I imagine the mechanism is largely the same- where your "local" time is juxtaposed against the list of world places and what time they might be (roughly) based on the colored dial. On the Howard Miller this dial is inset around the clock face and is black and white to indicate day/night at the various places listed. On the Sony (I assume) that the dial with the world map printed on it would serve this same function as the clock mechanism turns. Alas, I don't speak Japanese so that's my best guess based on what I know.

I will say this, the Sony is a really good looking clock regardless of any extraneous functions- I'll have to keep an eye out for any of those that might have found their way to the US!

Comment

My guess is that it is a normal clock with rotating world map instead of an hour hand. This map is a polar projection of the world, with the North pole in the center. So it is a bit like at looking at our globe from the polestar. Difference with reality is that it spins twice as fast: two cycles a day. To know what time it is anywhere you find the place on the map and then move to the rim to find the hour.

I do see a little plane over Africa (with shadow). I wonder what that is for? Maybe it moves with the seconds.

Comment

Yes, this is probably how it is supposed to work, thanks for your thoughts on this!

Comment

Unfortunately it was not meant to be, I was outbid and stopped bidding when it got too high for me

Comment

Working...
          X