Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pifco Timeside Clock Lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pifco Timeside Clock Lamp

Here is another oddity I've picked up over the years. Our British members would be aware of the Pifco brand which is also not uncommon in Australia. Pifco stands for Provincial Incandescent Fittings Company established in 1900. I like the 60s style of this clock. The shade is not original to the lamp but is also 60s vintage. It also has some interesting features such as a tick setting. Apparently, some people didn't feel comfortable with an entirely silent clock so it can be made to tick if required. It is not a self starter if the power goes off and there is a spin knob at the back to get it going. I believe it has a Smiths movement.

That is one quirky and cool clock/lamp!

I have a 60s Metamec alarmclock here which also has a switch for the ticking... funny, have not seen it anywhere else.

Comment

I really like the look of that one, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Actually as I come to think of it, the Pifco clock uses a Metamec movement and not a Smiths, the same as your Metamec alarm clock.

Comment

That's interesting to know! I like a lot of the Metamec clock, especially the wall clocks, such a shame they all have this nasty wire for mains power attached to them. The option around that is to change the clockwork for a modern quartz one and that is a no-go for me for I love these old clockworks.

Comment

I know what you mean. Converting a classic clock to a quartz movement does take away its appeal. My house was built in 1974 and in the front room above the fireplace it has a dedicated socket for an electric clock which means the power cord is concealed. This socket has constant power and is inset into the brick work. A special plug is required for the clock. At present it has a very ostentatious mechanical clock in place that my wife really likes. I would like to replace it with a timber starburst clock but for the sake of marital harmony....

Comment

By the way, since you like Metamec clocks, here is another example of a Metamec alarm clock lamp in a real 60s style. This one not only wakes you with a buzzer but the light flashes on and off at the same time. Guaranteed to get you up! It is a bugger to replace the globe though.

Comment

That is nice and that is exactly the alarm clock that I have, albeit it in a different colour. I have seen similar setups before, not necessarily 100% similar though.

Comment

While we are on the subject of Pifco clock lamps, here is another of mine. A more conservative design but still cool.

Comment

Working...
                  X