Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nextime projector clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nextime projector clock

Found this projector clock second hand online in Belgium. The pictures weren't very clear and I thought it was old, rare, very quirky, and it was affordable. Well, I was right about the quirky and affordable It is a retro looking thing that probably is still from this century. Nevertheless happy with it. It found a nice place in the home, and since it is electro-mechanical and a bit odd, I thought I'll share it here.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1975.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	17720

Name:	IMG_1968.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	17723 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1972.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	17722 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1970.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	17721 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1973.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	17719

Now that's some clever engineering! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

It's different alright, I like it, nice find!

Did a bit of googling after seeing your clock and apparently they made another one. Also relatively new but still very cool!

Last edited by flipoclock; February 1, 2021, 04:06 AM. Reason: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NexTime-Projection-Clock-/224173946282

Comment

That's really neat. Is it me or do the spade connector insulators (especially the red one) look a little burned/discolored from high heat? I imagine that lamp is possibly halogen and generates A LOT of heat. Or it could be that the switch is not rated for the amperage and they are heating up through inline resistance.

And look how CLOSE together the positive and negative are on the switch terminals!!! They are not insulated! Just a millimeter or 2 from touching and maybe even closer moving up. I would insulate those if this were my clock. That could start a fire or, at the very least, cause a circuit breaker to pop.

Looks like a VERY dangerous design.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-01 073355.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.2 KB ID:	17732
        Last edited by ; February 1, 2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Uhoh, I think you are right, that does not look healthy.
          And on closer inspection it is even worse!

Name:	IMG_1987.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	17734

It is a 12V 50W halogen spotlight, so it gets pretty hot. The external wire was in immediate contact with the base of the light and it left its mark. Also, the insolation of the brown wire crumbled on touch. I was already considering to replace the halogen with a LED but it certainly needs some proper rewiring as well.

Well spotted, many thanks!

Comment

WOW! That's terrible wiring.

I am VERY glad we caught that. I would hate for that to shock you or start a fire in your house! I would re-wire that entire unit.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
              It's different alright, I like it, nice find!

Did a bit of googling after seeing your clock and apparently they made another one. Also relatively new but still very cool!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NexTime-Pro...-/224173946282
              Ah that is a nice one as well!
              The transparant case also gives me a chance to have a good look at the wiring
              This looks already a bit better: the incoming wire has some extra shielding (what is this stuff?) and the horse shoe connectors are fitted the other way around so they are a bit further apart.

Comment

The white shielding is a heat-proof fiberglass cloth sleeve. It is used a lot to shield components from other components that generate a lot of heat. Sometimes referred to as "Heat Cloth".

Comment

Also, I may be working on one of these very soon for a gentleman from the UK, but lives here in the states.

Edit: He decided not to fix so it won't be coming to me.
                  Last edited by ; February 1, 2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X