Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ken-Tech T-610

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken-Tech T-610

Found this space age oddity at an antique store. Not a flip clock, but certainly interesting. I had no idea what it was or how it worked, so for the $20 price I thought I'd have fun exploring it's innerds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KenTech1.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	15554

It has side knobs to set the time and alarm, and a rear alarm lever. So it had all indications of a mechanical movement. When I first plugged it in and turned the setting knob, some digit segments lit, some not and others flickered on and off. It's marked Ken-Tech Model T-610. I found nothing online about it, though I see a previous post on a similar Ken-Tech T-507.

Opening it up found three rotating drums, with embedded conducting bars. Riding on top of the drums are metal fingers, that when in contact with a drum's conducting bar, completes the circuit for individual digit segment bulbs. The drums' conducting bars are there or not to properly light up the seven segment digit to represent a number. Kind of like a music box.

Name:	KenTech3.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	15556

Name:	KenTech2.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	15555

Name:	KenTech4.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	15557

The left drum does a full rotation every 10 minutes to sequence through the cycle for the single minute digit. The middle drum covers the 0-5 ten minute digit, but it has 12 conductor bar rows and takes two hours for a full rotation. The right drum covers the hour digits and rotates every 12 hours. Note the drums don't rotate continuously, they advance in 1/10 or 1/12 rotation increments, stopping on a conductor row, and staying there utill an advance to the next position - left drum advances on the minute, middle drum every 10 minutes and the right drum on the hour.

I found the contact bars and fingers a little corroded, particularly on the single minute drum. I gave the contacts a good spraying of cleaner and put it back together to run a while. It's been a few days and the segments are lighting up consistently with still a little flickering now and then. The more it runs the better it gets as the contact surfaces scrape away the crud.

If anyone has seen one of these or knows anything on this clock, I'd love the hear about it.

Cool. But I think we need a separate channel for these sorts of clocks and things. Maybe "Other Electro-mechanical Oddities"
    ?
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

What in the world... it reminds me of something off of Star Trek, but it's not some prop!

Very curious to know more about this one!

Comment

Very lumitime-like but also very different. If you ever think of selling it, think of me

We should have a topic like 'non-flip-clock-oddities' or something like that, there are many other clocks, non-flip-clock, that peek my interest as well.

Comment

Very nice!
          It looks like it operates exactly like a normal cyclometer but with a different display.
          Is it driven by a synchronous motor or is there something else that gives it a push every minute?

I love these technical solutions. Glad we now have a channel for it!

Comment

I just ran every keyword I could think of, and found only one "maybe" lead. I'll keep looking, but this is already shaping up to be one enigmatic hunt!

Any chance I might see the clock in profile when it's assembled? I'm just curious what the mechanical interface looks like in case there are other similar clocks out there that might bear a resemblance. If not, no worries- I'll find out more yet!

Comment

Wow...think of the tarnish that will begin to happen on those sliding contacts. It looks like a nightmare to clean.

Comment

Some more pictures.

The patent US 3,759,030 is avaiable online, though it's drum-contact descripiton is different than what's in this clock.

​​​​There is a synchronous motor driving a series of cogged wheels that advance the drums.

​​
                ​​
                ​​
                ​​

Comment

Alright, I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole on this one. Suffice it to say, I want one of these things, but they are apparently exceedingly rare, though not necessarily more expensive than most other period clocks. They certainly look the part and blend in, and thanks to the impermanence of eBay, information is hard to come by. That said, I have found some things.

I'll start with the most interesting find, a video on one of these clocks in operation. This was on page 4 of my search results, so it's pretty well buried. Warning, the intro to this video is very loud for some reason.

Comment

So, with a hit down, I set off to see how many models of clock I could find that used this mechanism. As of now we know the T-610, T-507, T-555, and R-800 all use this mechanism, or some variation on it. In most cases, there doesn't seem to be room for anything more than just the clock mechanism and maybe an alarm, making them very basic/simple devices. The clock in the video above is the T-507, the clock pictured below is the T-555.

Click image for larger version  Name:	014e9d54ffafe47ee67ca1bc0fc09753.png Views:	0 Size:	552.5 KB ID:	15646

Comment

Now for the juicy bit, I found a closed eBay listing from back in November of 2020, so relatively recently one of these did crop up. This is the R-800, and it incorporates a radio and is the only model I've run across that has one. Perhaps that's why it has an "R" distinction in the numbering. That ended eBay listing is HERE.

Name:	b2f7485fce88901cdd177047975796b8.png
Views:	298
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	15649

Comment

So, that still leaves a lot of questions. I wasn't able to pin down an exact timeframe, but most of my "hits" were in searches narrowed to 1970-1972, putting these in the Flip Clock heyday if what I've found is accurate. However, Torander's clock is notably different in styling, and features the "Ken Tech" logo in the "Amethyst/computerfont" typeface, which indicates to me it either predates these other clocks, or was somehow specialized to differentiate from them, perhaps as an executive desk clock versus the more "domestic" alarm clocks.

Another question left over is the numbering. If Torander's clock does predate the clocks I've found, then why would it's numbering follow models that don't exist? This is further complicated by Ken Tech's curious numbering scheme where numbers given seem almost arbitrary. I don't believe that they are arbitrary, but with a sample size this small, it's impossible to really say either way. It could very well be intermingled with their flip clock range of clocks too, further muddying things. In a move that might help this mystery though, Ken Tech seems to have changed it's numbering system from a three-digit number system to a four-digit numbering system sometime in the mid 1970's. Again, I don't have an exact year but "T-1000" seems to be right around 1977, and everything that followed thereafter appears to use a 4-digit numbering scheme. If nothing else that narrows down my search automation efforts a bit.

My ultimate goal is to find more of these things for sale. Getting them properly documented in a searchable way will be a tremendous boon for all sorts of people going forward I think. I want one, and I suspect that some of you would like to get your hands on some too for your own collections and preservation efforts. I will do my best to find the listings, and get them posted over in the eBay section here.

If I find more relevant information, I'll report back here.

Comment

cool info, thanks for that. What I like about this clock is its quirkyness and its rareness (luckily not necessarily connected to the prices being asked for these).

Comment

Wow Performa, great research. You should have been an investigative reporter.

The more that's not known about it, the more I like this clock.

I'll keep a closer eye out for others.

Comment

Originally posted by toranders View Post
                              Wow Performa, great research. You should have been an investigative reporter.

The more that's not known about it, the more I like this clock.

I'll keep a closer eye out for others.
                              I'm a sucker for a good mystery! Click image for larger version  Name:	4ee681a4748354fe96d556828d42a523.png Views:	0 Size:	872 Bytes ID:	15696

On that note, I've made a few more discoveries- one, that Ken Tech wasn't in any other markets at the time this clock was out there, so the farthest any of these clocks could have roamed without being from a collector is going to be Canada or (maybe) Mexico- my apologies to our friends abroad. Today I've refined my search efforts and set some clunky/simple automation in place to hopefully catch things that I might otherwise miss. My efforts are now extended to eBay, Etsy, Craigslist and Kijiji, though that may be a bit of a stretch.

I expect that eBay is simply going to be a waiting game. Eventually one of these things will crop up that's within that range, and as an added bonus the way my search is configured it's grabbing Ken Tech flip clocks too, not that anyone wants those much anymore. If I find anything too good to pass up, you'll see it in the eBay section.

I have the highest hopes for Craigslist- I'm confident there's one of these for sale out there somewhere, but finding it isn't as easy as eBay. It could be described as simply as "clock" in a search, for example, and be practically invisible. All the same, I'm now pulling results nationwide for a few keywords including "Ken Tech" and "KenTech" so with any luck someone out there might have one of these things crop up in their backyard.

Comment

Working...
                              X