Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ritz-Italora Self Winding Electric Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ritz-Italora Self Winding Electric Clock

Long shot - but hoping someone here might be familiar with battery operated clocks of the pre Quartz era.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220910_153303660.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	519.8 KB
ID:	26127

I came across an estate with four interesting vintage Italian clocks made by Ritz-Italora. These are Sixties to early Seventies- one is even mechanical! But the other three have an odd electric movement I have never seen before. It appears to be a battery powered self-winder...

Ritz-Italora clock movement

None of these work properly. One will run for a few seconds if you shake it. I have removed the cover and confirmed the battery contacts are clean and the flyweight spins and winds the spring - but that's about all I know to check.

Is anyone familiar with these? Or know a trick to lubricate or ... ?????

Thanks in advance.
    Jack of All Trades, Master of None
    www.maduko.com

I really like those. I'd like to second the motion by Engineer. If it runs for a few tick it probably needs lubrication. Lubricate very, very sparingly. No WD-40. A light oil and just a drop where ever you think it may need it. Then shake it and allow it to work. If you're on the right track it will start to tick more and more. Good luck.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I have it apart now and have dropped some oil in strategic points with a toothpick. Also used Deoxit on the battery contact points. Letting it sit overnight.
      www.maduko.com

Comment

So after disassembly and some oiling I am thinking the "electronics" are working. However it seems like the little sawtooth gear doesn't get turned as it should when the wheel-o goes around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221020_162939488.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	26296

The "nautilus" on the left spins with the weight, and the fine wire appears to be what engages the gear on the right. But it only turns the gear on the right every so often. That doesn't seem right to me. Is it possible those are not in the correct alignment?
        www.maduko.com

Comment

Working...
        X