Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from The Netherlands! I thrifted a Caslon 601, and have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from The Netherlands! I thrifted a Caslon 601, and have a question.

Hello all,

I always wanted a flip clock, and this one I found in a thrift store:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7058.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	26774

Name:	IMG_7060.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	26772

Name:	IMG_7059.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	26773

It is a German version, and it's missing the instructions on the back (don't know if they were ever there).
    Also, the 2 buttons on the back are not glued, like I read they should be.

This means I can adjust the day and month, but if I pull to change the time, I just pull out the knob.
    Apart from that, the clock runs fine.

Any idea how to adjust the time on this one?

Thanks!

Welcome to this forum and that is a very nice find for a thrift store, I have never been that lucky and I visit a lot of thrift stores...

I do have these instruction, I'm currently not actively selling them in my shop (for some reason), but if you send me a direct message, we can work something out. I only have the English version but I am sure that will not be a problem.

PS your clock is longing for a (light?) restoration, the glass is super dirty

Comment

Update: I used the video from this forum to open up the clock.

The bad: Something seems to be (more) broken now. The plastic disc no longer spins under power, and the minutes don't work anymore. I see the motor spinning though....

I noticed the back buttons were not glued on, but screwed on. Still, I could not (slightly) pull the knob to adjust the hours/minutes.
      Also, the glass did not have the little springs to keep it in place. I was not very movable, and it chipped a tiny bit when getting it out.

Could this be an earlier version of the clock?

I added some picture of the internals. Maybe somebody worked on this before, because for some reason on of the number plates has been glued to the back of the front plate.

Name:	IMG_7078.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	26820

Name:	IMG_7079.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	26821

Name:	IMG_7080.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	26822

Comment

Thanks for the photos!

The number glued on to the backplate is normal practice, instead of altering the design, they opted for a modification done in the factory, it is to prevent the metal plate from coming into direct contact with the clockwork because it is a tight fit.

When the (whirligig)wheel spins but the flaps do not move, that is usually an indication that the 1st gear in the gearbox (which sits right next to the whirligigwheel) is worn, that also makes the plastic wheel to stop spinning.

When the metal brackets are missing around the glass, it is an indication that someone opened it up before, perhaps to check whether they could get it going again but when the found out that they could not, they 'dumped' it?

It is likely that you need a new gear, but the only way to know that for sure is by opening up the gearbox, for which you will also have to remove that plastic wheel and I can advise you to tread with caution because that is very brittle and can easily snap in pieces...

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Comment

I took a good look at it, and taking apart the gearbox is beyond my capabilities.
          I can probably get it open, but chances are I'll break it (even more).

For now I use it as a non working showpiece, or I might send it to someone that can repair it, or use it for parts.

Comment

I do restore flip clocks as well, so if you're interested in that, you can send me a message or contact me through my site: www.flipoclock.com
            Clocks for parts are also always welcome (of course not for free).

Comment

Working...
            X