Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello flip clock fans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello flip clock fans.

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

A bit of background, and my journey with flip clocks

About a year ago, while helping my parter clean out her grandmothers house we found a Copal 703. I instantly fell in love with it, we plugged it in, the motor spun, but the time did not tick over. No matter, I would try and fix it. I am relatively good with my hands, so I thought I would give it a crack.

After some time of gently inspecting, it was clear that something in the motor / gearbox mechanism was not working was the cause of the issue.
    I am not sure how standard this motor / gear box is across the the copal range, but in the 703 it seems it is a 'sealed unit'.
    Eventually I worked up the confidence to try and open it. to do this, I filed back the the rivets and it came apart. From there, it was clear that the first gear in the mechanism was completely shredded.
    At the time, knowing absolutely nothing about gears, I didn't even know where to begin with fixing / replacing the gear. So the clock sat on the shelf for many months where i almost forgot about it.

After slowly learning about gears through other avenues of interest, and understanding how to calculate mods, I remembered my 703 and its shredded gear.
    I calculated the gear at a MOD 0.25 40 tooth. Jumping on google to find a replacement I quickly discovered gear manufactures rarely make gears less than MOD 0.5, and don't really take orders for 1 or 2 gears. After some searching I came across a post on this forum byJohan De Long ​and their 101 repair with pointed me towards kk produkja where I purchased a few 40t MOD 0.25 gears. The closest centre hole size I could get was 1mm, where i needed it to be 1.14mm as measured on the clock.
    A few weeks later the gears arrived, and some messing around and modifications, i managed to get the 40t gears on the same axle as the smaller 10 tooth. And the clock works again!

I photographed and filmed what I could from my repair, with the intention of editing it together, to share with this forum and the world so others might benefit.
    I would describe my repair work as 'cowboy' or 'dodgy' and i'm sure many some of you will shudder at my lack of skill and 'dodgy-ness'.

I plan to edit the video together in the coming weeks, and will likely upload to youtube and share a link here when it it done.

The problem I am having now is that I am not able to adjust the time whilst the motor and gearbox are connected to the rest of the clock. Is this a problem anyone else has encountered?

That is all for now, thank you to those who take the time to read my post.
    Apologies for any bad grammar, and sorry to anyone that works in imperial.

Welcome to the forum!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear my post was of help for this repair
      Looking forward to your video!

Comment

Working...
      X