Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings From Seattle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings From Seattle!

Hi everyone.

Post-Script as Pre-Script: When I set out to write this post, I had no idea it would reach book length! To make it easier to scan, I am going to embed subheads and a TL/DR.

TL/DR
    How hard is it to convert a Rowenta Rotime to work in the US?

KEEPING DESIGN AT A DISTANCE
    I'm a long time lover of modern and atomic age design. I didn't appreciate it much, growing up in the 70s (still am allergic to Harvest Gold and Avocado Green) but began to really appreciate it more as I grew older.

For some reason though, I always related to it as an academic/artistic experience, something to be appreciated in books, online or in the collections of the Cooper Hewitt or MOMA, not as something that I could actually have in my own house. I guess I figured that the only way to have items like this was to become an expert and a collector.

FUMBLING IN THE DARK
    That all changed a few weeks ago, when I was scrolling through Amazon, trying to find a clock for my bedside table. I had gotten sick of fumbling for my cellphone in the dark in order to see what time it was. I found myself disinterestedly paging through one dull listing after another when something suddenly "flipped." (Bad pun, I know.)

MY JOURNEY BEGINS...
    I realized that I didn't have to settle, that I could find a clock that I could actually enjoy looking at. That would do more than just tell the time...that would have its own story. So I opened up a new browser window, typed in "vintage electrical flippy number clock thingy" and was off on my search.

And weeks later, here I am. Along the way, I have learned a lot, (and not just how to create more effective search terms.)

...AS DOES MY ANTIPATHY FOR EDISON
    The more I looked, the more I got excited about how many amazing clocks there were out there. And the angrier I got with that jerk, Thomas Alva Edison.

Why oh why did he have to establish all of our systems on a different standard than the EU and Japan?

The vast majority of the designs I love the most seem to be made for the EU or Japanese market. Sigh.

WHO DOESN'T LOVE A BURNING SMELL?
    Our omniscient friend Mr. Google seems to offer differing levels of advice on overcoming this insurmountable barrier. "No big deal, just invest in a power converter" one site states, while also warning that you shouldn't leave the converter turned on when you aren't using the device." (Um, hello? Clock? Need it pretty much 24/7.)

Another page offered reviews of the best voltage converters, but then regularly mentioned in the "cons" column that users had complained about "a burning smell" and even sparks (!).

SORRY TO CRASH YOUR PARTY
    And then my googling led me here. A forum that says it's not just for collectors or experts, but for fans of "electrical flippy number clock thingies." (Or words to that effect.)

I don't know if my Pleistocene-era high school electronics class or dusty background in technical theatre is enough to help me here...but I am at least going to try.

IS MY DREAM A NIGHTMARE?
    So, my dream clock, so far, is the Rowenta Rotime. I found what seemed to be an incredibly knowledgeable person on Etsy who let me know that while some might have been made for the US market, they are very rare.

SO: At long last, my question for the community (or the very few people that are still reading): is it possible to find one of these configured for the US? And if not, how hard is it to convert an EU model to run on Edison's selfish voltage scheme?

Great read. And Rowenta Rotime - Great Choice.

I have that clock as the Solari Udine Cifra 2 in the 120V 60 Hz variety - Very hard to find!

As far as stepping up the voltage - That would be out of my league - although member Engineer will likely discuss this soon enough.

Have you looked at the converters from Ken's Clock Clinic - They're pretty good equipment from what I understand. I own one that steps up the voltage to 220 and changes the frequency to 50Hz - seems to work just fine for me.

Here’s an article at his site I put together. I didn’t realize that was up there until I started looking at his site again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cifra2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.5 KB ID:	23664 Click image for larger version  Name:	cifra2-revers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	23665
    my Cifra 2 chambered for the US market

It's such a coincidence that flippynumberclockfans.com was my second choice - but I went with the flipclockfans.com and/or flipclock.fans

Welcome to the forum!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Flippity flappity. These flip clocks are so dumb. I hate them!

Haha, just kidding! The fear of running a power converter (step-up OR step-down) all the time is unfounded. Just about any commercially available unit has safety features (fuse or thermistor or BOTH) integrated to cut power to itself if there is a fault. Mackey's suggestion for Ken's Clock Clinic power converters is a very good one. Those are probably the best for frequency conversion, as well, available to the average consumer. Not cheap, but most others are industrial-grade and VERY expensive and bulky.

Converting voltage is not hard, but converting frequency IS. Just because a step-up/step-down converter works ON both 50 and 60 Hz does not mean it will CONVERT one way or the other. It has to be specifically built to convert. Also, keep in mind that many of these clocks are able to operate on different frequencies because of factory-modified gear-ratios in the gear set of the motor. Copal motors commonly did this and sometimes even provided a physical lever to the gearbox to change it from 50 to 60 and back. This was common in Japan with its dual-electrical grids...100 volts 50 AND 60 Hz depending on the location.

So, if your house electrical circuit is sound and well-maintained then running a converter should be no problem. Most houses in the US are 15 or 20 amp at the wall socket. These converters pull well under that at around 750ma give or take. Do note that when choosing a converter that is should be rated at about %25 ABOVE the max wattage produced by the device being plugged into it. These clocks, on average, might generate 3 to 15 watts, which is quite low.

Oh...you have NO idea just how deep the flip clock rabbit hole can go...

Comment

Working...
      X