Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Michigan, USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Michigan, USA

Hello,
    I'm a clock collector and happen to have a few flip clocks mixed in with all of the others. One of my main interests is in Telechron clocks, but I like all kinds.

Thanks for allowing me into the group, and I hope to post an interesting flip clock here in the near future.

Thanks again, Pat L.

Hello P-Loft,

Welcome to the forum. I’m from Michigan as well.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! You'll find that there are some nice Telechron flip-clocks out there! Who knows, we should be able to learn a thing or two from you about restoring the telechron motors themselves for they are notoriously hard to open up and repair!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumblejeff View Post
        Hello P-Loft,

Welcome to the forum. I’m from Michigan as well.
        Hi Jeff,
        I'm in the Grand Rapids area. There's good clock availability here. A lot of variety, too.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
          Welcome to the forum! You'll find that there are some nice Telechron flip-clocks out there! Who knows, we should be able to learn a thing or two from you about restoring the telechron motors themselves for they are notoriously hard to open up and repair!
          flipclock_nl,
          Thanks for the welcome.

I'm a collector and researcher of Telechron rotors, but don't repair them. There are some non-invasive techniques that others have developed, and I have used those techniques successfully a few times. To learn about restoration of Telechron rotors, you may want to go to the telechron.net forum and search around. You will find many discussions of various techniques for restoration of the rotors (and clocks).

Attached is a picture of a rotor display that I made earlier this year. Telechron had hundreds of rotor variations with different case materials, shaft configurations, pinions, rpms, frequencies, torques, etc. Some of them have removable plugs so that the lubricant can be flushed and changed, and the lubricant could even be changed to a different viscosity for use in in hot or cold climates. The rotor display will probably be expanded during the upcoming winter to include more rotors including those of other frequencies, such as 25hz, 30hz, 40hz, and 50hz. Also, there are large rotors that were used in tower clocks that should be included.

You are right that there are some nice Telechron cyclometers. I have many of them and like them a lot.

Thanks again.

Comment

I'm new to flip clocks and cyclometers. Is there a guide somewhere that can educate me about the terminology and brands?
            Cylometer
            Telechron
            Numechron
            etc, etc, etc.

I have acquired about 30 cyclometers, many that are very rare, so it's time that I get educated about the details and learn how to care for and restore these mechanisms.

Comment

Ben,
              Sorry, but I'm equally new to the world of flip clocks. The best information may be on this forum. Just search for whatever has your interest.

As far as cyclometers, if you are interested in Telechron/General Electric types, you can find information about them on the Telechron.net forum. And every model of Telechron/General Electric cyclometer is shown in the book "Electifying Time" by Jim Linz. I would recommend that book if you have an interest in any type of Telechron/General Electric clock. The book provides pictures and model numbers/names, along with production dates, production quantity in many cases, history, and approximate values.

Comment

Working...
              X