Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Los Angeles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Los Angeles

Hi there,

I'm a long time flip clock fan, and Pulsar red LED 'wrist computers' fan too. My Dad had the watch, still have it too if anyone knows about making them work again. Found someone to fix the battery once but it inevitably died again before long, but that's a different story.

I'm happy to have come across the excellent videos on YouTube today - but only after getting into some trouble with my Copal 222. I tinkered with it enough to break off the tabs on the top of the (already scratched) lens, so now it's held on there with hope and not much more.

I'd love to get a new lens, if possible, from someone with spare parts. The goal would be to replace that first, but ultimately to modify the clock. I bought it brand new/old stock 20 years ago when living in London, but since moving here I haven't been able to run it. I contemplated getting a Chronos voltage convertor (anyone have experience with these?) but then learned from this forum that it may be possible to do a motor swap. I like 24 hour clocks so much, I thought of making a Frankenstein clock: a Copal 222 24 hour version that runs on American 120v 60hz.

I'd love to know if this will work, and currently am hoping to find out if I can do this myself (as a newb with little/no experience of soldering or anything. Having looked inside it would seem that I need 'only' to unscrew and swap one motor for another, and possibly also the entire light/transistor/wrapped wire element too to better match the US voltage and maintain correct brightness. Another plan would be to buy an eBay copal 222 for $150+ dollars for parts, but I don't like this as it deprives others of owning one.

Does anyone here have 120v US motor/light/lens parts for a 222 that I could purchase?

Thanks in advance, excited to (more carefully) tinkering with my clock

Click image for larger version

Name:	clock.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	18659

Welcome to the forum and that is a nice clock, in a very nice colour that you have!

Bought 20 years ago, brand new, that must have been the last one in stock that you managed to buy .

The lenses do tend to snap when the come off with the 222, there is very little you can do about it. I will have a look through the limited stock that I have for this clock, but even if I have one, there is no guarantee that it will not snap when putting it back in place.
    I live in Europe, but will also see if I might have a 110v motor for you possibly, I do have stock for US clocks.

Perhaps someone on the forum here might be able to assist from the US as well, could be cheaper and quicker.

Robert

**EDIT**

I just did a quick sweep of my parts stock for the Copal 222/225/227 and did find a lens and a 110v motor. I have to say that the lens is still mounted to a clock, so no guarantees it will be in one piece when it has snapped off, but there are few tricks I might be able to try to minimise the risk of it snapping.

If you are interested, shoot me a (private) message, but as I said, there might be more 'local' people who might also be able to assist.

Comment

eliot33 Welcome to the forum. No extra parts for the 222 here. Good luck!
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Wow! What a quick response from you both, thank you! I’m going to send you a private message.

Comment

I may have some parts for this model. Will check today.

Comment

Will wait what Engineer comes up with, will be a lot quicker and will save you on postage...

Comment

I had one in my spare parts from a green unit, but it has a crack in it, unfortunately. Sorry

Comment

Wow Engineer, love your website, and thanks for checking I really appreciate that.

Comment

So, it’s over to you flipclock_nl, what do you say? Feel free to private message me if you think you can help.

Comment

I have sent you a message...

Comment

• eliot33
                      eliot33 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      flipoclock Sorry to keep messaging you if you're busy, maybe you could try resending you private message when you get a second as it didn't come through properly somehow. Thanks

Strangely I can only see the first part of your message, truncated, in my email alert - but can't find it in my online message center here. Not sure why. Could you try sending it again for me?

Comment

• RetroFlip
                      RetroFlip commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Weird, have you tried logging out of the forum and logging back in?

• eliot33
                      eliot33 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the suggestion, just tried, but no dice. I've asked flip clock_nl to resend when he can.

Just sent it again!

Comment

Okay, so today I was watching the Nyquil branded copal 222 logo removal video and lo behold: another one popped up on eBay!

I bought it for $70 so now I'll have an original black UK version in 24h with a UK electric outlet on it, and an American Nyquil white version. I'll definitely be looking to remove the logo with spirits as in the video, and if I feel brave, I could try a motor swap to get the 24 hour flippers working in the US. I got options.

I was born in America, moved to England, then moved back, so it's fitting I have a functioning flip clock ready for whatever 'home' I find myself in

Thanks everyone.

Comment

This is a really cool clock that you are making! I also owned a NOS 222 from a medicine promotional giveaway. You will have to post pictures when it’s done in the show and tell category of the forum. Welcome aboard!

Comment

I surely will, whatever I do. One step at a time, excited to get new/old stock. It feels quite special, like it cheated time! And a clock too!

Comment

Working...
                          X