Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question from a newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question from a newb

Growing up my dad had a flip clock alarm on his nightstand. I always found it fascinating and figured if I ever saw one like it, I'd buy it. Fast forward a few decades and I'm walking through Goodwill and stumble across a Panasonic RC-1122, orange and in great physical condition. My dad's was a later 70's-early 80's model with the faux woodgrain. Because it wasn't like his, I hemmed and hawed, but finally took the $7 risk and bought the Panasonic.

The clock wasn't working when I tried it. Taking it apart, I found that the adjustment mechanisms for the clock and the alarm were out of whack. I've fixed that. The clock keeps great time now and the alarm works, though with questionable accuracy. It needs a new lamp, so I'm waiting for that to arrive. In the meantime I dove into why the AM radio isn't working. I replaced the volume control, as that wasn't working right. It appears after reading some of the topics here that the switch is probably oxidized (wiggling the switch gets it to work). While I await the arrival of some DeOxit, I've thought about just removing the radio and modernizing it.

I'm torn though. If the radio and all other functionality are good, it feels sacrilegious to rip apart a classic in great shape like this. What I'm asking is what is the value on these? I've done some searching and it doesn't look like they come up on eBay very often. The last one was for parts. If I take out the radio and put an Alexa in it instead am I'm doing it to a $20 clock or one that's worth a lot more and would perhaps be enjoyed more by a collector/aficionado in original configuration?

Please don't do it. like a classic car a collector want's it looking as if it just rolled out the showroom and not turned into a monster truck. original is always more valuable. I have 3 of these and there are few and they are worth alot more then 20. I'd say 75 to 80 and just going up. jmo

Comment

I would leave it alone and get it working in an all-original state. Gutting it would not be a good idea, but it's yours to do with as you like.

There are no clock radios or really any electronics made like these anymore. Certainly, none that look like it. The designs of these were very unique.

Comment

I agree, there are more common and still nice clocks that might be more suitable for a project like this.

This particular clock is gorgeous and rare and I would happily US$75 or somewhere in that region for it to get one in my collection

Comment

Alright guys, I won't tear it apart and ruin it.

Comment

Thanks! Now we can all sleep well tonight.

Comment

Personally, I with the the rest on this one I'd leave it. I'm a big fan of the original. But I'm also of the belief that you can do what ever you want. While I wouldn't do it myself, I like to see a creatively upcycled flip clock. Better that than the junk pile.
              I just wouldn't have it in my collection.
              ~ Mackey Site Administrator
              If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
              If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I do some modifications to clocks, but I typically keep the insides just the way they were. Try the deoxit, and if that doesn’t resolve the issues, then these AM radios are quite simple in design and can be troubleshooted to specific, off the shelf replacement components.

Comment

Recapped it and put a new bulb in it. I ended up taking apart the switch mechanism to de-ox all the components on the inside. That seems to have fixed the radio issue. I've now for some reason lost the alarm buzz, but I'm going to quit while I'm somewhat ahead. I'm loving the look of it, so for now at least I'm going to hold onto it.

On a related note, I got free from Craiglist a GE Model 7-4310F yesterday.Is this how an obsession starts? This one, the radio works, clock mech seems fine, but the clock itself wasn't working. Disassembling I see the motor wasn't working. I've cleaned it up following some of Mackey's YT videos. It's now working, but slowly and the motor gets warm. There were an alarming number of cobwebs inside the motor when I first opened it up. Hoping it's just a case of really needing a deep soak.

Edit: Forgot to include a picture.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X