Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill T. from Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill T. from Illinois

Hello, I just registered and I am glad I found this forum. I have had a 50 year-old Panasonic RC-7589 that has performed quite well with a little TLC over the years. The Copal-Japan II motor coil opened just recently and I want to unwind the coil and fix it. It was relatively easy to remove the round gearbox from the motor. Now I have the motor all by itself. What is a good technique to remove the drive gear from the shaft so I can remove the aluminum can outer rotor? I realize what I am doing has a low probability of success, but at this point I have a non-working clock that I want to make working again. Also, I am wondering if the front (gear-side) bearing surface is really worn, or is it supposed to be loose. If I rock the aluminum rotor, the gear side wiggles about 1/64". I feel it would originally have a precise fit. I have never taken the motor apart until now, so I don't know what it was like new. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Bill and welcome.

First off...DO NOT expose the coil or remove the stator wheel (the exposed "flywheel"). You'll never be able to unwind the coil successfully and that is very rarely the problem. This is a field coil motor and it is typically is very robust. Many times the motor issues are due to poor or failing lubrication. There is always a bit of lateral play in these motors as they are not precision units. Some have more than others due to wear and tear. Usually, proper lubrication solves many motor problems.

What issues are you having? You mentioned that you removed the motor, but you did not indicate the actual issue you are having. Is the motor slow, stopped, noisy?

Comment

Hi, and thanks for the reply. The motor turns freely. I've carefully kept the motor (and clock) lubed over the years. The coil is open - infinite ohms. Just unlucky, not bad for 50 years use. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum, too bad it has to be under these circumstances!

If it is merely the coil and the rest of the motor is good, surely there will be someone on this forum (not me, I live in Europe, different voltage, etc.) who can supply you with a motor for parts with which you can switch out the coil and get yours going again. I would suggest opening a topic in the correct place on the forum and you are sure to get some response.

Good luck!

Comment

Welcome! Hopefully we can help you out yet.

Comment

Hi Bill, well, that's too bad. It is VERY rare for the coil to go open on these as the windings are actually pretty high quality and quite robust. I may have a motor from an RC-7469, which is the same motor configuration if I recall. I will check.

Comment

Hello and thank you for looking for the Copol motor. I see that the Panasonic 7469 is very similar to the 7589 with the biggest visual difference being the clock assembly and radio assembly flipped left to right. It even has the round FM and AM radio dials of the 7589. I appreciate your help. Thanks again, Bill T.

Comment

So, would the motor from 7469 fit the 7589?

Comment

Working...
                X