Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from WI! Excited to share my projects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from WI! Excited to share my projects.

Hey all, my name is Charles, and I currently reside just north of Milwaukee, WI, in the heart of dairyland country. I'm a part time computer science student who works in retail, as well as restores flip clocks and cars in my spare time. I got into the hobby in late august this year and I've learned so much already, thanks to the FCF YouTube channel (big shout out to Mackey). This has been a fun journey for me as I've always been fascinated by clocks. I had a really cheap GE flip clock as a kid that I had to take apart so much to get it working, it eventually found the bin I think, probably had a bad gearset.

Anyways, I wanted to share some projects as well as ask some questions, and potential post some of my restorations for sale here. They're not perfect, but they're all really nice in my opinion and are unique in their own ways. I also sell these clocks on eBay with some minor success so far.

Here are some of the latest projects:

Restoration of a rare (I've never seen another one) Elgin RD-1040 clock radio, which uses dual neon bulbs. The only clock I've encountered so far with two bulbs.

Restoration / repaint of a Copal 229, which had damaged wood grain and heavy scratching on the front plastic. I've gotten quite experienced with spray painting as a result of this hobby. I try to choose really nice colors.

Restoration / repaint of a Sanyo RM-5020, which again, had damaged and discolored wood grain and UV damage to the front plastic. Resprayed in a Coral color. New neon bulbs and adjustment of alarm function to work correctly.

Restoration of a Caslon 701, with heavy smoker damage to the case. Was able to retrobright it back to near-original condition, as well as clean the insides and replace the neon bulb. Sold it for over half what I paid for it, was too nice for me to keep it lol.

Thanks for letting me share!

Hey cyb3rbyte , welcome.

Nice to see the restorations you have going. There are several other clocks that run multiple neon lamps: The big Panasonic RC-6551 (and RC-707), Motorola Concept 90, Juliette FDC-1089 and a bunch of other models. Some also run a neon to illuminate the alarm set wheel and some of those are lit from within the wheel itself.

Happy restoring!
    Last edited by ; November 30, 2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Nice collection of clocks you have got going there, welcome to the forum!

Comment

I didn't even know Motorola made clocks! Very cool.

What are the opinion of the quartz battery powered flip clocks from Seiko and Citizen? I see them on yahoo auctions and am tempted.

Comment

Those are hit and miss. Some run well and others...not so well.

Many times a previous owner will have left an old battery inside and then they leak...eating anything made of metal, namely, the battery springs and tabs. If the corrosion isn't too bad you can clean it up with vinegar as it will neutralize the corrosive deposits.

Some tend to be noisy and others are totally silent. Again...it just depends on the one you get.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Nice to see another Badger in here- I'm over in Stevens Point.

Looking forward to see more of your work, rock on!

Comment

Bid on these! Excited to see if I get them. Yahoo Auctions Japan is so new to me. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m458740886

Comment

Great to have you. Funny, I was just looking at one of your clocks on eBay, the 229.
                ~ Mackey Site Administrator
                If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
                If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
                  Great to have you. Funny, I was just looking at one of your clocks on eBay, the 229.
                  Curious to hear what you think of it! It’s going to a new home eventually, as I have a 222 in a neat color on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by cyb3rbyte View Post

Curious to hear what you think of it! It’s going to a new home eventually, as I have a 222 in a neat color on the way.
                    Is that the original color?
                    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
                    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
                    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post

Is that the original color?
                      The 229? No, it was originally a wood grain clock but the finish was badly scratched so I sanded it down and painted it.

The 222 I have coming is original and is orange!

Comment

• Mackey
                        Mackey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I like your style.
                    Working...
                    X