Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Den Bosch, the Netherlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Den Bosch, the Netherlands

Hi!

I'm Johan and living in Den Bosch in the Netherlands.
    About 35 years ago I copied an idea from a friend and salvaged a flip clock mechanism from a broken radio. Just put it on a board and kept it running until it stopped a few weeks ago.
    Looking for a fix I stumbled upon this wonderful forum. I learned a lot, but not how to fix it (yet).
    Since I really missed my flip clock I bought another one on marktplaats (Dutch eBay clone).
    And soon after a second one...
    And then a third...
    And so I got hooked! :-)

Looking forward to learn much more here. All clocks I bought needed some work. I'll share my experiences later on.

Regards, Johan

Hi Johan,

Welcome to the wonderful world of flip clocks and to this forum. I have been hooked for about 15 years now and am buying (and selling) flip clocks all over the place, only the models that I like though. I have lived in the Netherlands for a good many years but have moved away to Ireland since a couple of years.

You have a nice starting collection of clocks there! Would you happen to remember if you salvaged clock came from a Sony? When it did, I might have a replacement motor for you. If you can remove the motor and post a few pics of it here, especially of the part which is attached to the clockwork. When I have that info, I can check for you in my big pile of replacement motors

Comment

Can't remember which radio it was from, but the motor is a Copal II. The motor still wants to spin, but there is too much friction. A good clean and/or oil might resolve that. But then there is another issue: the first plastic gear in the gearbox is worn out. I did remove the metal gearbox cover earlier to come to that sad discovery. If you happen to have a spare, that would be super!

Comment

Thanks for the info. If you could get me a photo of the gearside of the motor, I can check for you. I need to know what kind of gear is on it and where it is positioned.

Rgds,

Robert

Comment

Hope this helps. The plastic gear at the top of the foto is the culprit. the one that touches the metal motor axle (or should, since some teeth do not anymore). It is on the axle that is closest to opening for the electric wire.

Comment

Thanks for the photos. Unfortunately it does not help enough for me to be able to give you a definite answer. I would need to know what gear is supposed to be on the 1st picture, sticking out of the motor and latching on to the clockwork to get it going. Would you have a picture of that?

Comment

Ah, that little thing. Hardly a gear with just one tooth ;-)

Comment

Is that what it's supposed to look like? I will have a look, I have a couple of similar motors, which I think will do the job, the plastic gear just looks a bit different, but that could be due to a redesign. As soon as I find the time, I will post a pic of it.

Regards,

Robert

Comment

I have checked my 'stock' and the motor which I thought might be a match (mind you, I have a bag full of these motors) is different unfortunately. The 'gear' on the outside is different and also the spacing, where it actually sits on the motor, is different so this will never work.

I do not have any other matching motor in my stock. If you would be able to take it apart (you can find a short movie on youtube on the flipclockfanschannel on this) and take a picture of the gear which is actually broken, I could see if I would have a matching gear which you can use as a replacement whilst keeping the original motor.

Good luck!

Comment

I have taken the plunge and carefully split open the gearbox by drilling away the ends of the three rivets. The damaged wheel has 40 teeth on large gear and 10 on the small one. The other dimensions are in the picture. Of course the outer diameter was a bit more originally. Maybe around 10 mm. Would be great if you find a match! Btw: I guess you were right in suspecting it was coming from a Sony. I found some pictures of Sony radio's that have similar buttons, including the sleep timer "pull up" stick.

Comment

Found it! I will send you a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan de Jong View Post
                        Hi!

I'm Johan and living in Den Bosch in the Netherlands.
                        About 35 years ago I copied an idea from a friend and salvaged a flip clock mechanism from a broken radio. Just put it on a board and kept it running until it stopped a few weeks ago.
                        Looking for a fix I stumbled upon this wonderful forum. I learned a lot, but not how to fix it (yet).
                        Since I really missed my flip clock I bought another one on marktplaats (Dutch eBay clone).
                        And soon after a second one...
                        And then a third...
                        And so I got hooked! :-)

Looking forward to learn much more here. All clocks I bought needed some work. I'll share my experiences later on.

Regards, Johan

Comment

Hi Johan, Marc here, also from Holland.
                          did you fix your clock yet?

Comment

Hi Marc, yes I did.
                            I replaced the broken gear with the one that flipclock_nl had available. It is running fine now, hopefully for another thirty years!

Comment

Working...
                            X