Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G’Day from Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G’Day from Australia

Hi everyone my name is Darron and I have just got my first flip clocks. Both are Copal’s, one is a RD-150 in great condition but does require a new neon that shines onto the clock. The radio sounds great too. The other is a white plastic Copal which I am having trouble identifying the model number, hoping someone may be able to help identify. It’s motor wasn’t spinning when I got but after reading and watching some videos I successfully washed it out with contact cleaner and works great, one tile to repair though.
    Regards
    Attached Files

Thanks for joining!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Hi from the Apple Isle

I've got an untested Copal in a box the same as that white one, lots of knobs, but mine's missing the sleep knob.

I've just had a good look at it and there's no ID moulded into the plasic anywhere, just "Copal Digital Clock Radio" on the long black strip on the top and 2 silver labels on the back, "AC 240v 50Hz" and "Earphone Jack"

If I ever find a model number for it I'll let you know.
      Last edited by davidm; June 23, 2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Hi davidm, here Are a couple more photos of the white Copal, yes it has a few controls. Apparently both of the clocks haven’t been used for about 40 years according to the original owners.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yours has one more label on it underneath than mine, that blue label, what does that say?

Comment

The blue label says Made In Korea.
            I assume it is unusual not to have a model number? Being plastic would it have been close to the end of The flip clock era?
            Also the gearbox/motor had the 220v 50hz t84 sticker on it but it fell off.
            Attached Files

Comment

• davidm
              davidm commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't know all that much about flip clock history, I'd guess that maybe Copal supplied the flip clock mechanism to another manufacturer, but I couldn't even hazard a guess when.

Others here on the forum probably know more about that.

davidm is right...Copal supplied flip clock movements to most manufacturers making these early digital clocks. Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sanyo/Craig, Lloyd's, Emerson and so on.

A few exceptions were JetSet, York, Edison, various early General Electric clocks (not the "roller" clocks), Seth Thomas...and a few others here and there. Everything else was Copal for the most part. Many were powered by GTC (General Time Corp)/Westclox, Telechron or Haydon motors.

Oh, and welcome Southern611 !

Comment

Thanks for the info Engineer, and love the interceptor!

Comment

Southern611 Thanks for that! That's actually one of the Pursuit models in that scene..."Big Bopper" call sign

Comment

Working...
                X