Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Kansas City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Kansas City

Greetings:

I've picked up a few flip clocks in the last year and continue looking for them. This forum has been helpful. Thought I'd share what I've found so far.

For years I've been accumulating vintage clocks and watches and paid no attention to flip clocks. About a year ago, I stumbled upon a GE (7-4305F) flip clock radio at a thrift store. Reminded me of the flip clock radio my folks had in the 70's.

The radio worked, but the clock didn't move. For the $3 price it was worth the opportunity to open it up to see if I could bring it back to life.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_3267.jpg Views:	10 Size:	296.7 KB ID:	11842

A good motor cleaning and oiling got it running again. My wife liked it, so it resides on her side of the bed.

Last summer, I found a non-working $5 Panasonic (RC-6010) clock radio at an estate sale. Again, a thorough motor cleaning and oiling, along with a light bulb replacement and it's in service in my daughter's bedroom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3266.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	11841

This Copal 227 was buried at the back of the local Goodwill's clock and radio shelf. It was priced at $3.95 and has been working fine in our guest room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_3268.jpg Views:	11 Size:	296.6 KB ID:	11845

I bought this GE 8113 from an antique shop in Idaho a couple months ago. Paid a retail $40 for it. Keeps great time in our living room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_3269.jpg Views:	9 Size:	324.3 KB ID:	11843

A Copal 601 was my first targeted purchase. I noticed it in a Night Gallery episode from 1971. So I had to have it - the obsession kicks in.

I was fortunate to land one on eBay for just $20. I knew it needed 220v 50Hz and figured I'd just change out the motor. Turns out the motor is not easy to find, so I need to come up with a power scheme in the mean time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_3270.jpg Views:	11 Size:	509.7 KB ID:	11844

I did a test using a european car inverter. The clock worked fine, but found the frequency regulation not consistent, to a couple minutes a day. I've ordered the frequency converter from KCC Scientific. Luckily I have a wife that tolerates the purchase of a $200 device to power a $20 clock.

The 601 will become my new office clock, whenever we can get back in.

Cheers

You sure have picked up some bargains, GE 7-4305F for $3, Panasonic RC-6010 for $5, Copal 227 for $3.95 and a Copal 601 for $20, GE 8113 for $40, average price $14.40 !

I thought I was doing well at an average price of about $30

Did you get the 230v Copal 601 in the US?

Do you find that the cards in the 227 tend to stick because of the slightly raised angle?

Look forward to hearing more from you as your flip clock addiction grows

Cheers David

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Originally posted by davidm View Post
      Did you get the 230v Copal 601 in the US?
      Got it from an estate/auction shop in North Carolina. The clock apears to have the original cord with Type A, North American, style plug. That, and with the english days, I have no idea where it may have originally sold.

Originally posted by davidm View Post
      Do you find that the cards in the 227 tend to stick because of the slightly raised angle?
      I haven't noticed that. I'll keep a closer eye on it and report back.

Comment

Nice collection there. The Copal 601 is classic and historical, being one of the ones that Riki Wantanabe, himself designed.

I personally think that the GE 8113 is an undervalued clock. They must really mass produced those things is why they don't go for that much. Again, they're undervalued in my opinion. The mechanism is an early Copal type (as you will have 5 hour cards and it resembles one of the earliest Copal 101 mechanisms).

I really appreciate it that you're using these throughout the house. That's class!

Thanks for sharing.
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
        X