Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Electric 8142-4 Flip Clock (kinda?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Electric 8142-4 Flip Clock (kinda?)

I was dropping off rent and had a feeling I should go and stop by the Goodwill store here on the northside. This turned out to be a good call- as after a little digging, I hit the Flip Clock Jackpot... sort of. Indeed, the clock isn't "technically" a Flip Clock (apologies if that places this in the wrong section, I'm not quite sure where it fits best myself) but it is an electro-mechanical digital-display clock, and I think it's super cool!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ca2ef946b0c966c11d09f51952924877.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	8651

Name:	dbe13b690d144e9bca1878f8e1a6bece.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	8652

Name:	663916f8db7d0f3a4f0984a36c9ae175.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	699.5 KB
ID:	8653

Now, to compound my excitement, this clock is absolutely battered. We've got enamel marker, permanent marker, scratches, scuffs, a dent on one side- it's been through hell alright, but still seems to work! I'm weird though, I like a good challenge- and this is a really nice size item to work on in my current improvised "workshop" space. I look forward to sharing my progress as I move ahead on this one- with any luck I'll have it looking brilliant again soon!

To see it in action, and to bear witness to my ghastly editing skills, a video is below!

Oh, and while this clock is cosmetically different, it's mechanically very similar to a clock Mackey covered in depth. If you haven't seen that yet, that thread and video can be found by clicking HERE. Enjoy!

Comment

Although I would not buy this clock for myself since the design is not entirely to my liking, it is still a nice clock though.

And yes, I would call this a 'kind of' flip clock and there are absolutely some very intriguing models out there, the one even more intricate than the other, some even more intriguing than the average flip clock.

The most well known are the Sankyo ones, but they have the infamous Toshiba/Telechron motors which all start breaking down after 30/40/50 years.

Anyway, nice find, are you going to open it up or just try your luck as-is?

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
        Although I would not buy this clock for myself since the design is not entirely to my liking, it is still a nice clock though.

And yes, I would call this a 'kind of' flip clock and there are absolutely some very intriguing models out there, the one even more intricate than the other, some even more intriguing than the average flip clock.

The most well known are the Sankyo ones, but they have the infamous Toshiba/Telechron motors which all start breaking down after 30/40/50 years.

Anyway, nice find, are you going to open it up or just try your luck as-is?
        Thanks! At this point (and using Mackey's video as guidance) it looks like replacing the cord is pretty much required to separate the mechanism from the "hull" of the unit, and taking the cases off of things makes cleaning them much easier- so a large-scale tear-down will be in order soon. As the light is busted, I'll be replacing that as well, but I haven't yet decided on what color I want to go with. The original would have been something of an orange or yellow, but with LEDs now it could be almost anything- but the time and parts means I need to consider that carefully. All the same, I'll definitely have a follow-up video on this one soon, if nothing else with the outside cleaned up to as close to new as I can get it with the tools I have now.

Comment

Working...
        X