Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap voltage & hertz converter on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap voltage & hertz converter on ebay

Reading the text, it seems to do what I could need or am I missing something? It literally says it converts hertz & voltage...
    Hair Clipper Voltage & frequency Converter from 220 to 110 Volt 60HZ transformer | Health & Beauty, Shaving & Hair Removal, Clippers & Trimmers | eBay!

Yep. Says that it will power US clocks off your country's power supply.
    Yet Ken from KensClockClinic would probably say that they're using a modified sine wave verses a normal sine wave. I honestly don't have any idea if that would be any problem.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

It's almost cheap enough to try and when it does not work to send it back since they do state that it should work on clocks......

I have the odd clock laying around with which I could test it. Going to think it over.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
        It's almost cheap enough to try and when it does not work to send it back since they do state that it should work on clocks......

I have the odd clock laying around with which I could test it. Going to think it over.
        Even if it doesn't have a perfect sine wave output, if the motor works, it works. However, we do have a member from Australia that would probably warn you off from these types of converters.
        Troy tried one for clippers and I think said it actually made the clock run noisily.
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I have generally found when using modified sine wave inverters with my laptop walwart, it runs extremely hot, moreso than normal. At that price, your electronics quality most certainly can't be enough to provide clean power. I'd be suspect that it doesn't damage your motors or other internal electronics. I'd stay away as well. Converting voltage is one thing, but frequency as well? Not for $50.

Comment

I know I'm reviving an old thread here (hope that's OK), but I'm currently sussing out one of these cheap Ebay frequency converters (modified sine wave).

Does anybody since this 2018 thread have any more feedback on them? flipoclock ?

I'd be happy with close enough is good enough, if time stays mostly accurate.

Cheers.

Comment

I have one of these and stopped using them because they are not accurate enough and mine has a rather loud fan in it. I will dig it out, see if it still works and will try to give you something with regards to accuracy over a couple of days if that helps.

Comment

• 2014WRX
                2014WRX commented
                Editing a comment
                OK, thank you.

So, I gave mine a go after dusting it off, but yeah, I turned it off again after a few hours. These few hours resulted in a loss of (a lot of) minutes so I did not feel it was necessary to continue with the experiment.

If anyone wants mine (it converts 220v/50hz to very roughly 110v/60hz), I'm happy to send it to you for a reimbursement of the shipping fee.

Comment

• 2014WRX
                2014WRX commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, very helpful info. I won't bother with them!
            Working...
            X