Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runing a Japanese clock (100V) on US mains (120V)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runing a Japanese clock (100V) on US mains (120V)

The flip clocks I imported from Japan have Corpal II motors labled as "60hz-100v H 69". One is not in such good condition, so I took a chance running it on US mains overnight with seemingly no ill effects. I have the rest being tested on 100V converters, but should there be any issues running these on 120V long term? As a side note, I plan to clean the motors tomorrow by flushing them with alcohol before lubricating with a drop of sewing machine oil.

Most of the Japanese clocks will run on 120v (But not recommended long-term) and sometimes have a range on the label. For example the Panasonic RC-707 (same as the 6551) is 100v 60hz, but has a range allowance of 90-110v. So, in your case, the chances for damage are probably low, but do remember that any above-spec, unregulated power to the circuit board could shorten the life of transistors and capacitors (power amp, ripple control, etc) that are already getting pretty old and could be less tolerant of the extra power over time. Your power in your house isn't a constant 120v. It could dip to 117v or spike a little bit above 120v depending on the power demands going on in your house. Older homes seem to have a little more swing.

So, most devices are probably tolerant of a plus/minus of %10 power swing as shown above with my example. But, that only allows an upper limit of 110v. Your mileage may vary!

Power is proportional to the known voltage and is squared. 120^2/100^2 = 1.44

It could be up to 44% more power than it was designed for!

Me, personally...I run a converter.

(For those that don't know...Japan has TWO power grids...one at 100v 60hz and the other at 100v 50hz. In a nuthsell...It's a carryover from when they were building their infrastructure and sourced power generators from the US and Europe. Osaka area was 100v 60hz and Tokyo area was 100v 50hz)
    Last edited by ; February 16, 2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I agree most things in this world can run over voltage anyway example a 12 volt battery can be charged up to 14.64 ect ect. .....And most voltage through main household supply fluctuate. but its just a little high to keep it in good working order... Maybe a local Electronics expert can build you a 20 volt reducer for your Japanese clocks

Comment

Don't know about the quality, but on ebay you can find various suitable adapters: https://www.ebay.com/p/Yazawa-Htdc24...d=282690114039

I'll be buying myself one of these so can tell you about the quality in a bit :-)

Comment

Working...
        X