Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between flip clock and rotating clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between flip clock and rotating clock?

I decided to look for a flip clock to buy and I noticed you can get ones with split flaps that flip down, or ones with a dial that just rotates. What are the advantages of both? My assumption would be that the rotating style is newer and makes less noise than flaps falling down. Does the rotating style have less issues, since they don't have the stacks of flipping numbers?

Generally speaking the rotary style precedes the popularity of the flip display, although there is overlap. You are able to get larger digits using a flip-flap display than you are wrapping numbers around the circumference of a cylinder, so I think that was a big part of the increased appeal.

Comment

Retro is right on. Additionally, people liked that the change was instant, instead of the rolling being a gradual change. With many of the rotating (the GE below comes to mind) there was also no distinction between AM and PM, meaning that you had to make an effort to set your alarm every evening. You'll see the advertisements for the early flip clocks touting this benefit.

While I'm partial to flip clocks, some of the cyclometers of the 1930s-1950s (see the Zephyr below) were works of art. I personally like flip clocks due to growing up with them in the 1970s. Additionally, flip clocks have a interesting history, from the Plato flip clock of the early 1900s (the first flip clock), to the 1937 -1939 New Haven flip clocks (that seemed to be just a blip on the clock world screen). I personally own 3 of the following although I did not take these pictures.

Click image for larger versionName:	s-l500.jpgViews:	1Size:	37.8 KBID:	3790
      GE model 8142-4 Alarm Clock

The famous Lawson Zephyr Clock

Click image for larger version  Name:	plato.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.4 KB ID:	3791
      The Grandfather of all Flip Clocks - The Plato Clock circa 1904-1910

Click image for larger version  Name:	nhfc.jpg Views:	1 Size:	273.4 KB ID:	3792
      A very rare style of the New Haven Flip Clock of the 1930s (circa 1937)
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thanks for the response! I want to buy a GE 7-4305C. I like the look of it, and I like the smooth rotation of the numbers. I saw one cheap online. The ad says everything works, but I noticed the tuner needle is in a diagonal position instead of straight up and down. Does this mean the band connecting it inside is busted? Also, the bulb is burnt out. I believe it takes a neon bulb but does anyone know what number of bulb I need, and if it needs a resistor on it?

I saw a video of this clock that Flip Clock Fans posted on Youtube. The motor seems very different from other flip clocks, and doesn't seem to have holes on the back. Does this type need cleaning or lubrication like other flip clock motors? If so, where do you put the alcohol/oil?

Comment

As far as getting a larger size with the flip clocks, that's not necessarily the case. For example, some of the roller clocks use a scroll instead of a cylinder. This allows the depth of the clock to be much narrower than the depth of a clock with a cylinder or a flip clock. Here's a little case in point using my Lumitime C31 and my COPAL 222. I love both technologies equally. :-)

Comment

As far as the noise goes.... I have had rotary clocks which can make quite the noise when rotating the drums..... Then again, they can also be somewhat quiet. You can never tell on forehand, it depends on so many factors and variables.

Comment

Reaper Yes. If the motor is working let it be. These motors were all designed to last the life of the clock. Lubricating should be done only if needed. If it's working don't "fix" it. The neon bulb is connect to the mains current 110-120 volts and yes it does require a resistor. Typically around a 30K Ohm. These bulbs can be found all over eBay and other online sources and are know as NE-2H, or C2A neon lamps. The needle being diagonal probable means that it is off the tuner line, but this isn't typical and it's possible someone overturned the tuner knob and broke something. No way to know until you open it up.
              Reaper, As a new member I will send you a new neon glow bulb assembly if you pay the shipping and material cost. ( $3.00 ). Send me a private message if interested and I'll let you know how to pay. Alternately, just get some online. Good luck.
              ~ Mackey Site Administrator
              If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
              If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thanks for the help! I'll see what happens when I get the clock and open it up. If everything is working I'll just clear out the dust bunnies and leave it be. I can get a NE-2 with a 100k resistor or a NE-2H with a 47K resistor on Ebay. I assume the NE-2H would be brighter, as long as it's not too hot for the clock. I guess you cut the old resistors off and use just the new one? How do you know which side to put the resistor on? The new bulbs only have a resistor on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by typogenerator View Post
                  As far as getting a larger size with the flip clocks, that's not necessarily the case. For example, some of the roller clocks use a scroll instead of a cylinder. This allows the depth of the clock to be much narrower than the depth of a clock with a cylinder or a flip clock. Here's a little case in point using my Lumitime C31 and my COPAL 222. I love both technologies equally. :-)
                  The Lumitime mechanisms are actually a series of shutters that hide and reveal the digit sections, you tube has some cool videos of them taken apart. I have a Lumitone (the clock radio version) in really bad shape that I hope to build a new enclosure for eventfully...

Comment

Yeah, my bad. After looking inside of one of my Lumitimes, I realized that it's far different than I suspected and, FAR different to a similar technology used in a number of vintage clocks. An example would be the Sankyo 313AL. It actually does use rollers and a totally different shuttering system, but it's technically a roller... I mistakenly assumed Lumitime was a similar setup, maybe using paper scrolls instead of plastic rollers. I've got a clock that does use the scrolls and will post some pics if I can find it. I started a move last month, so my collection is spread between 2 locations.

Please share a photo of the Lumitone, if it's no problem. I've got 2 Lumitime C31's; one perfect and the other with a slow motor and broken stand. I still love them both .

Comment

Yeah, my bad. After looking inside of one of my Lumitimes, I realized that it's far different than I suspected and, FAR different to a similar technology used in a number of vintage clocks. An example would be the Sankyo 313AL. It actually does use rollers and a totally different shuttering system, but it's technically a roller... I mistakenly assumed Lumitime was a similar setup, maybe using paper scrolls instead of plastic rollers. I've got a clock that does use the scrolls and will post some pics if I can find it. I started a move last month, so my collection is spread between 2 locations.

Please share a photo of the Lumitone, if it's no problem. I've got 2 Lumitime C31's; one perfect and the other with a slow motor and broken stand. I still love them both .
                      Unfortunately I don't have any pics of my Lumitone handy (pretty trashed) but here's a youtube video someone posted of the model.

Do you have a link to the Sankyo 313AL? I couldn't find any images for it but it sounds interesting. And for sure share the scroll clock, I've only really seen scrolls for days of week on wall clocks.

I'm always amazed how many variations and mechanisms came out of this time period for tracking time, don't think anyone could collect them all.

Comment

Here's a photo of one of mine. I've got two of them and this is the better one. It's also got a different model number for some reason, although they look identical, and parts appear to be interchangeable. This is the 314 SN.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20170913_145807_HDR-01-01.jpeg
Views:	901
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	3901

Comment

Here's a photo of one of mine. I've got two of them and this is the better one. It's also got a different model number for some reason, although they look identical, and parts appear to be interchangeable. This is the 314 SN.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20170913_145807_HDR-01-01.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	321.9 KB ID:	3901
                          I like the orange back light on that one, shows up really well. I have a Zenith Clock radio that has a similar mechanism from the looks of it. Someone was selling NOS a while back so I was able to swap for a new mech and fix a worn out motor. Here's a pic of the old one. (has a soft green back light) Model #: D F474W Clock Radio(Might be a clock you can pick up for spare parts for the Sankyos if needed) Looking closer, the motor says: WG3.6B7A 3319 60HZ, stamped Sankyo Intermatic. Stamped on the back of the mechanism it says: Model DT-55G1

Name:	zenith1.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	3944

Name:	zenith2.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	3945

If anyone's interested: the front screen hides the overlapping numbers, so they get a larger number onto a smaller diameter cylinder.

Comment

That's really cool looking and I think identical parts. If not to the Sankyos I have, then definitely to a Montgomery Ward branded clock that I have. It's actually part of the Montgomery Ward Airline line and it has the white numerals. This one came with an Amber neon I believe, and I replaced it with the same, but I picked up some green neons recently and I'm thinking about swapping it out for that.

On a related but different note, if you put a slightly tinted panel in front of these Sankyo and etc Lumitime like clocks, you can get a much cleaner looking readout that's comparable to the cleanliness of the Lumitime design.

I'm not one for modding out classic flip clocks unless I have numerous copies of that model. And if I did that's a mod I would probably do.

Here's the Montgomery Ward clock that I mentioned. Model number is Gen 1926A, by the way.

Comment

Hey RetroFlip,I am sorry for the very late delay on this. It has been a very rough couple of years since we last talked about this. I've actually moved twice since I was posting this originally, from a place I had also just moved to. But I am getting settled now and have found my clocks. The 313 Al was not apparently of great seller because it's very hard to find a photograph of them. I couldn't find anything.

But what I did find is my clock so I can just take a new picture and show you. In the photograph the clock on the right is the 313 AL.

The first clock is the 314sn which I'm sure you're familiar with. The AL in the 313 stands for alarm. And it is identical to the 314 except that the 314 SN has a snooze, and that's what the SN is for . I'm not sure why they bothered changing the number but maybe there was a 313sn or something I don't know. anyway if you're still interested here's the photograph if you have any questions let me know. My 313 Al does not work by the way... And actually not a great clock compared to the rest of mine so it might be for sale if you like it :-). 313 is actually pretty to beat up so I wouldn't sell it for money. It's broken in many places and it doesn't run.

Name:	20201212_111738~2.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	14771

Name:	20201212_111738~3.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	14772

[QUOTE=RetroFlip;n3897]

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of my Lumitone handy (pretty trashed) but here's a youtube video someone posted of the model.

Do you have a link to the Sankyo 313AL? I couldn't find any images for it but it sounds interesting. And for sure share the scroll clock, I've only really seen scrolls for days of week on wall clocks.

I'm always amazed how many variations and mechanisms came out of this time period for tracking time, don't think anyone could collect them all.[/QUOT

Comment

• RetroFlip
                                RetroFlip commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hey no worries, thanks for coming back around and taking the time to share the pics! I moved last year and still have clocks stacked in all sort of boxes.
                            Working...
                            X