Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud "click" when changing days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud "click" when changing days

Hello! I'm relatively new to the intricacies of the flipclock world but have happily had one for the past few years (a wood patterned Copal 227, I believe). I've been having a problem where the clock makes a very loud "click" sound when the day changes over (ex. from Saturday to Sunday). It usually happens around 12:15am and wakes me up.
    Is there any way to fix this noise or at least make it more quiet? I'm not a light sleeper by any means, so it's definitely overly noisy to be waking ME up. Also, does anyone know why the day would be changing at 12:15am instead of exactly at midnight?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The only thing I can think of is a trivial one: the alarm will make a loud click at the set time, even when the alarm is turned off (alarm button down). If that is the case, the solution is simple: set the alarm to a time you are not asleep.

Comment

Are you sure you're not talking about the Copal 229 - the one with the Day displayed?
      The click is when a arm is moved up by the hours wheel to allow a spring that has built up tension to move the day wheel. Another arm catches the day wheel (which is probably when the click sound happens). I'm in the middle of taking one of these apart. There's no way that I can tell to quiet that.
      As far as why it doesn't go off exactly at 12:00. It was apparently designed that way. Flip clocks just aren't that precise. That's why they were replaced by LED digitals.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

• CrunchyHoney
        CrunchyHoney commented
        Editing a comment
        You're probably right about it being a 229. It displays the day. I tried posting a picture but had trouble.

So far, my fix is to have the AM and PM swapped so that the day technically changes over at 12:15pm instead of 12:15am. I have enough sense to know that it's actually 6pm even if my clock says 6am, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just won't be able to rely on the day that the clock states it is. A minor problem to have my favorite clock at least half functioning.

I'd be very curious to see the inner workings of this model if you decide to make a video or take any pictures of the process!

Originally posted by Johan de Jong View Post
      The only thing I can think of is a trivial one: the alarm will make a loud click at the set time, even when the alarm is turned off (alarm button down). If that is the case, the solution is simple: set the alarm to a time you are not asleep.
      That was my first thought, too. Sadly, not a fix. Thank you, though.

Comment

I have not been on the forum for awhile, simply too busy and I know that I will have to limit my time here because else it will take up too much of my time, but I felt I could maybe contribute something here.

I have a 229 on my bedstand and luckily I usually go to bed around the time it clicks to the next day (which is around 12.20/12.30 o'clock), but I was thinking you could maybe grease up that mechanism a little bit, it will not work wonders but maybe make it a little bit more quiet? I will have to get my hands on some grease and will maybe give that a go and will report back here as soon as I get there.
        Perhaps Mackey will find something useable as well when doing his video.

Comment

• CrunchyHoney
          CrunchyHoney commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been using it with the AM and PM reversed so that it clicks the day over around noon instead of midnight. But strangely enough, it will still make the loud click around midnight! I didn't notice it the first couple nights but now I've come to expect it. It will also click around 12:15pm-12:20pm. I'm not sure how or why it clicks at both times.
      Working...
      X