Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to flip clocks - explain Hz to me pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to flip clocks - explain Hz to me pls

Hello,

I am interested in getting my first flip clock. Maybe I am getting old and feeling vintage in my core.

Anyways, I am situated in Europe. Athens in particular.

Can you explain to me what I should be looking for in Hz and volts ... or some other metric I should be careful of if I want the clock to work accurately ?

Thank you.

Greece operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz. Ideally you should get a clock with Hz of 50. Many clocks run at 220 V 50 Hz. If you get a clock with a different voltage rating (100-120V) this will work but you MUST get a transformer to decrease your voltage or else you will destroy your clock. Japan has many clocks that can run at 50 or 60 Hz but the voltage is 100 V. You can get converters that change both voltage and frequency, but they're expensive.​

So
    1) Look for a clock that Runs on 50 Hz
    2) Ideally get one rated for 220 - 230 Volts
    3) If you get one rated at a lower voltage you MUST get a transformer to decrease the voltage.

Thanks for becoming a member.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
      Greece operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz. Ideally you should get a clock with Hz of 50. Many clocks run at 220 V 50 Hz. If you get a clock with a different voltage rating (100-120V) this will work but you MUST get a transformer to decrease your voltage or else you will destroy your clock. Japan has many clocks that can run at 50 or 60 Hz but the voltage is 100 V. You can get converters that change both voltage and frequency, but they're expensive.​

So
      1) Look for a clock that Runs on 50 Hz
      2) Ideally get one rated for 220 - 230 Volts
      3) If you get one rated at a lower voltage you MUST get a transformer to decrease the voltage.

Thanks for becoming a member.
      Good morning,

Thank you for your reply. Got caught up in real life and didn't see it.

Most backplates I see say Voltage: 180-260 . Does this means I am ok with the 230 V of Greece, so the clock is safe to use and functional ?

Comment

Absolutely safe.
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
        X