Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running 60hz clock on 50hz - fire risk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running 60hz clock on 50hz - fire risk?

Hi all

Putting aside the incorrect time keeping, do you think it would be safe running a 60hz US clock at 50hz? (110-120v using a step-down transformer).

Some generic Googling suggests possible excessive heat build up, but not sure if this will be much of a matter with a low wattage clock? (For reference, I want to get a Stancraft high time clock. I've been warned they're a bit trash at projecting, but I'll have it projecting on my shelf so it should be ok.)

Que the dentist scene from Gremlins 2..."is it safe?"

the heat problem in the High Time is the incandescent light bulb in it. can warp the plastic if left on 24,7. I swapped mine out for an LED equivalent bulb. much cooler and saves power

Comment

• 2014WRX
      2014WRX commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea, thanks.

• eathan21th
      eathan21th commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the lamp inside the flip clock it is not an incandescent light bulb usually, it would be a neon lamp. The temperature of the neon lamp should not be very high.

• tonyofthelord
      tonyofthelord commented
      Editing a comment
      FYI. this clock has both neon (for the clock face) and incandescent (to project the time on the ceiling) lamps. that is why it's called the Stancraft High Time clock.
Working...
X